In today’s fast-paced world, everyone is looking for ways to gain an edge in their productivity and overall energy levels. This desire has contributed to an explosion in the energy drink market—a market that has become a $27 billion-per-year industry. With so much money on the line, many companies take the quick and easy route by slapping energy drink labels on simple combinations that contain copious amounts of caffeine, sugar, and other dangerous ingredients. These companies ignore the major underlying factors in low energy and proper nutrition!
This approach has garnered a rise in regulatory scrutiny, an increase in research, and the uncovering of energy drink-related health risks. Research on the ill effects of many of these energy drinks is published almost monthly; however, it appears to have little effect on the public. Sales continue to soar, while ER visits drastically increase.
So what can we do? Let’s look at a couple of natural solutions to the energy dilemma:
NingXia Red® combines the extraordinary wolfberry superfruit with pure essential oils (Orange, Yuzu, Lemon, and Tangerine) in a powerful whole-body nutrient infusion. When taken daily NingXia Red replenishes energy levels and supports overall nutrition.
NingXia Nitro™ blends pure essential oils (Peppermint, Spearmint, Black Pepper, and Nutmeg) with naturally powerful ingredients such as d-ribose, green tea extract, and B vitamins. These ingredients, in addition to a Nitro blend of vanilla, chocolate, wolfberry seed, and yerba mate, provide a lift to one’s mental clarity and focus, while also providing a surge of energy. Designed to be taken when a boost is needed and with less caffeine than a cup of coffee, Nitro is a perfect option for on-the-go use.
These synergistic products are designed to be the healthy answer to the energy question. To help you get started on your journey to improved energy, we are going to give away two NingXia Red/Nitro product packs (over $100 value) to two random individuals who leave a comment on this blog post.
— Ryan Seely, Associate Product Marketing Manager
Spring cleaning is an annual ritual to clear out all of the dust, cobwebs, and clutter that have accumulated in your home over the winter. Our bodies also deserve a “spring cleaning” to flush out toxins that have accumulated over time. Adding a detoxifying cleanse to your annual routine can help increase your energy flow and help with your overall well-being.
Breathing, Sweating, and Eliminating
The simplest ways for your body to naturally eliminate toxins are through breathing, sweating, and eliminating through your gastrointestinal system. There are a wide variety of methods for cleansing your body, along with many different levels of intensity. However, the simplest and single most important step you can take to help your body flush out toxins is to drink more water. Adding more movement to your daily routine can also help increase your circulation and release endorphins, which act as positive mood boosters.
Several techniques to help your body eliminate toxins include:
- Alternating between hot and cold water in the shower to help promote blood circulation to the skin
- Sitting in a sauna or hot tub to promote toxin elimination through sweating
- Getting a massage incorporating Young Living’s Ortho Sport®, Ortho Ease®, Relaxation™, or Sensation™ massage oils to help break up lactic acid buildup in the muscles
Young Living’s Juva products also provide a natural way to assist the body’s natural cleansing functions:
- JuvaCleanse® and JuvaFlex® essential oil blends help support the body’s digestive system.
- JuvaPower® and JuvaSpice® can be sprinkled on foods to add extra fiber and nutrients to your digestive system.
- JuvaTone® tablets provide vital nutrients to support a healthy digestive system.
Here are some examples of different types of internal cleanses. Be sure to consult with your health professional before starting a cleansing regimen.
The Master Cleanse
This is a simple and fairly easy liquid cleanse that you can do for up to 7–10 days:
- ½ fresh squeezed lemon
- 8 oz. of distilled water
- 1–2 tablespoons of grade B maple syrup or Young Living Blue Agave
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
Mix and drink 6–12 glasses daily.
Vital Life Juice Recipe
Young Living Founder and CEO D. Gary Young created this recipe over 25 years ago to provide concentrated nutrients.
- 3 ounces freshly sliced beet
- 1 oz. freshly sliced carrot
- 1 oz. freshly sliced celery
- 1/3 freshly sliced white radish
- 1 pinch of ginger
- 1/3 potato (optional)
Puree all ingredients in a blender and drink ¼–½ cup every 2–3 hours.
Grapefruit Juice Recipe
This refreshing drink is simple to make and easy to drink throughout the day.
- ½ cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1 quart distilled or purified water
- 3 drops Spearmint essential oil
- 3 drops Tangerine essential oil
- Young Living Blue Agave to taste
Mix ingredients together in a pitcher and store in the refrigerator.
Please share your experience incorporating Young Living essential oils when you’ve been doing a detoxing cleanse.
—Heidi Jeanfreau, YL International and Portfolio Brand Manager
Winter can be a difficult season on your physical and emotional health. The days are shorter, it is cold in most parts of the country, and colds and the flu are more prevalent.
During any season there are a few basics that can help to maintain optimal physical and mental health, such as eating healthful foods, drinking lots of water, exercising regularly, and getting enough sleep. However, you may be doing everything “right” and still need a little extra support to get you through those short winter days and long winter nights. Whether diffusing, applying topically, or taking internally, Young Living essential oils can help you strengthen your physical wellness, improve your emotional balance, and fill your home with safe, purifying products.
Here are some ways you can incorporate Young Living essential oils and essential oil-infused products into your daily routine to support your health all winter long:
Utilize the Power of Thieves:
- To help control the spread of germs, wash your hands frequently and incorporate the health-supporting power of any of our Thieves® products.
- Diffuse Thieves essential oil blend day or night to help purify and humidify the air.
- Clean household surfaces with Thieves Wipes or Thieves Household Cleaner.
- If you’re on the go, help sanitize the air with a squirt or two of Thieves Spray.
- Keep Thieves Waterless Hand Purifier in your car, at your desk, and in your purse or bag for a quick and easy cleansing shot. I frequently use a napkin and a small drop to clean my desktop.
Support the Body’s Natural Defenses:
- Citrus oils such as Citrus Fresh™, Grapefruit, Lemon, Lime, Orange, and Tangerine help support the body’s natural defenses. Plus, the fresh, vibrant citrus scents can also help boost your mood during short winter days.
- Mountain Savory™ revitalizes and stimulates the body and has strong purifying properties.
- Clove is an important ingredient in Thieves and helps support the body’s natural response to stress.
- Oregano is known as a purifying oil.
- Thyme was traditionally regarded for its cleansing properties.
- ImmuPower™ is great to diffuse or apply topically to the feet and hands.
- Purification® deodorizes and neutralizes the air.
Support Respiratory Health:
- R.C.™ has three varieties of Eucalyptus and is comforting when applied to the chest and throat.
- Thieves Lozenges deliver the cleansing power of Thieves for long-lasting relief.
- Breathe Again™ Roll-On creates a soothing aroma.
- Peppermint eases tension and, along with Myrtle and Pine, supports healthy respiratory function.
Get a Good Night’s Sleep:
- Take a soothing bath before bed with some Epsom salts and Peace & Calming® or Dream Catcher™ to promote relaxation.
- Put some water and RutaVaLa™ or Lavender in a spray bottle and spray it on your pillow.
- Diffuse Harmony™, Valor®, Gentle Baby™, Trauma Life™, Stress Away™, or Angelica to help bring a peaceful night’s slumber.
Please leave a comment below to share how you use essential oils to help maintain your health in the winter months.
—Heidi Jeanfreau, YL International and Portfolio Brand Manager
Diffusing activates the powerful plant constituents found in Young Living essential oils. Whether in your family room, office, kitchen, or bedroom, diffusing essential oils can help eliminate odors and provide an uplifting mood in your home.
Creating Custom Blends
While a few of our most popular oil blends include Thieves®, Peace & Calming®, Valor®, Purification®, R.C™, and Joy™, you can also create many combinations by mixing single oils or adding singles to our oil blends. The possibilities are endless!
At our global headquarters, several Young Living employees have created their own custom diffusing blends. Here’s a favorite blend of McKenna H., who works in our Will Call:
- 7-10 drops Lime
- 6-8 drops Tangerine
- 2-3 drops Melaleuca Quinquenervia
- 1 drop Petitgrain
- 2 drops Frankincense
Other custom blends ideas from Young Living employees include:
- Eucalyptus Radiata and Grapefruit for a fresh, clean aroma
- Jasmine, Orange, and Tangerine to create a scent reminiscent of spring
- Sandalwood, Frankincense, and Hong Kuai to help promote deeper meditation
- Christmas Spirit™ and Pine or Juniper to create a cozy, winter aroma
Favorite Diffuser Blends from Young Living Facebook fans:
“I created a blend for my daughter’s fourth-grade class to clear the room and help with focus: Peppermint, Clove, Eucalyptus, and Lemongrass.” –Yvonne S., Member
“I like to diffuse Peppermint and Thieves. It makes for a very fresh-smelling home, while cleaning the air of impurities at the same time.” –Gail T., Silver
“For freshening air and getting rid of bugs, I use Purification, Peppermint, Valor, and Thieves.”
–Tiffany V., Senior Star
“Peace & Calming with some Christmas Spirit at night makes me sleep like a baby, and I wake up happy in the morning!” –Shelly M., Star
“My favorite: 2 drops Joy, 2 drops Abundance ™, 5 drops Citrus Fresh, and 3 drops Peppermint.” –Renee D., Star
“Lavender and Orange is a great mix for relaxation and creates a wonderful fragrance.” –Glenda M., Member
“Lavender and Peace & Calming at bedtime creates restful nights for the whole family.” –Darcy D., Star
What are some of your favorite diffuser blends, and what do you use them for? Leave a comment and let us know. We always love to hear from you!
—Heidi Jeanfreau, YL International and Portfolio Brand Manager
A heavenly alternative to traditional treats, these delicious bites made with Young Living’s Ningxia wolfberries and Blue Agave can provide a day-long energy boost. Try this recipe for Wolfberry Bites O’ Heaven from Young Living Platinum member Jan Zerr.
1 cup cacao nibs
1 cup Young Living’s Ningxia wolfberries
1 cup hemp seeds
3/4 cup coconut butter
2 tablespoons Young Living’s Blue Agave
Dash of sea salt
Dash of vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean
2 drops of a Young Living essential oil of your choice (See recommended essential oils below)
Note: Please follow individual label instructions before using any Young Living essential oil in cooking.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor except for the cacao nibs and hemp seeds. Process until completely broken down into small pieces.
- Add the cacao nibs and hemp seeds into the process. The cacao nibs should break down to about half their size. The hemp seeds should be visible.
- Form into bite-sized balls with a small ice cream scoop, place on a baking sheet, and refrigerate until firm.
This recipe was originally featured in the January 2014 issue of the Essential Edge News. You can read this issue here.
Do you have an essential oil recipe? If so, please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Young Living Recipe” in the subject line. You can also share your recipe by posting a comment below. Your recipe could be featured on the Young Living Blog!
The holidays are a time when we reflect on our blessings and give gifts as a token of caring and gratitude. Some of the most iconic symbols of the Christmas season are the gifts of Frankincense and Myrrh, which were considered as valuable as gold by the three wise men in the Bible. This holiday season, build upon that ancient tradition of giving precious oils by giving a gift that shows you care about the well-being of your loved ones.
Fill the Air with Holiday Spirit
The Young Living 2013 Holiday Catalog features limited-time, beautifully packaged collections that embody the holiday spirit and make great gifts and sharing tools.
An ideal gift for those who are new to Young Living is the Holiday Sharing Collection, which includes a handcrafted diffuser necklace along with sharing packs of Lavender, Lemon, Thieves®, Peppermint, and Peace & Calming®.
Share a cup of holiday cheer with the Wintertime Wassail Collection, which contains 5-ml bottles of Cinnamon Bark, Clove, and Tangerine essential oils, a wassail recipe card, and a 16-ounce mug set. Help create an inviting and stress-free atmosphere with the Holiday Balance Mini Oils Collection, which contains 5-ml bottles of Idaho Blue Spruce, Lavender, and Citrus Fresh™
The exclusive Exotic Oils Collection features 5-ml bottles of Biblical Sweet Myrrh, Amazonian Ylang Ylang, Yuzu, Hong Kuai, Xiang Mao, and Plectranthus Oregano.
Remember, these holiday collections are available for a limited time and only while supplies last!
Give the Gift of Relaxation
Our patented Vitassage™ Essential Oil Dispensing Massager gives you a unique way to incorporate the benefits of up to three essential oils or blends into your massage. This product includes a carrying case and has a special holiday price of $49.75 (regularly $69). Add an Aroma Carousel as a revolving display for your guests to explore Young Living essential oils—it’s a perfect accessory for presentation, travel, and sharing. Together, both of these products make a great gift combination for yourself, as a business-building tool, or for a loved one.
Vitassage Package Giveaway
Leave a comment below telling us which Young Living essential oils or collections you plan to purchase for holiday gifts, and you will be entered for an opportunity to win one of two Vitassage packages, including the Vitassage Massager and Carrying Case and an Aroma Carousel. The winners will be randomly selected and will be posted in our next blog post.
—Heidi Jeanfreau, YL International and Portfolio Brand Manager
Sharing a steaming cup of wassail with friends and family is a great way to celebrate the holiday season. This festive beverage can be made even better with the inclusion of the delicious flavors of Clove, Cinnamon Bark, and Tangerine essential oils! Try making this essential oil-infused recipe to set the mood for any holiday occasion.
6 c. Apple Cider/Apple Juice
2 c. Pineapple Juice
5 drops Clove Essential Oil
5 drops Cinnamon Bark Essential Oil
5 drops Tangerine Essential Oil
(Try one or a mixture of any of the below)
4 Tbsp. Dried Wolfberries
1-2 Slique Tea Bags
2 oz. NingXia Red
2 drops Ginger Essential Oil
2 drops Nutmeg Essential Oil
Add all ingredients to a 3-quart pot. Turn stove to medium/high and heat until hot. Serve and enjoy!
For added benefit, set the post to simmer to keep your home smelling festive throughout the day. You may need to add 1-2 drops of additional oils if the mixture stays on the burner for many hours—as you are essentially diffusing these ingredients into the air.
Our new Wintertime Wassail Collection, featured in this year’s holiday catalog, includes all the items you need to make Young Living Holiday Wassail, including 5-ml bottles of Cinnamon Bark, Clove, and Tangerine essential oils, a wassail recipe card, and a 16-ounce mug set in a gift box. View the collection in our holiday catalog here.
I love ice cream—especially homemade ice cream. Knowing my love for this generally unhealthy treat, I decided to experiment with a healthier option using Young Living products.
Try this delicious recipe for NingXia Red Sherbet:
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 ¾ cups NingXia Red®
- ¾ cup Young Living Yacon Syrup (may also substitute with Blue Agave or 15 drops Stevia Extract)
- 4 drops Tangerine essential oil (may substitute with other citrus essential oils)
- 6 Life 5™ capsules (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- ½ cup chopped Ningxia wolfberries (optional)
Mix together almond milk, NingXia Red, Yacon Syrup, Tangerine essential oil, and vanilla extract. If desired, open Life 5 capsules and add to the mix. Add ingredients to an ice cream or yogurt maker. Add the fruit halfway through the freezing process or when serving (this keeps the fruit from freezing solid). I also like to soak the wolfberries in NingXia Red to make them juicier.
Please leave a comment with your thoughts or with any suggested modifications.
—Ryan Seely, YL Product Marketing Manager
I live in the desert, and this time of year I am always looking for new and interesting ways to entice my kids and their friends to drink water. It can be challenging with the neighborhood kids to compete with their sugar-laden, artificially colored sport drinks and blood-sugar-spiking fruit juices.
To provide healthful beverages, I love creating Essential Waters with Young Living essential oils, herbs, and fresh produce. Essential Waters are also a great way to share essential oils with others. Combining essential oils and fresh produce is pleasing to the senses and creates positive associations with wholesome food.
- Glass container for storing and pouring
- Stainless steel spoon for stirring
- Young Living essential oils (Always follow individual label instructions before using any essential oil. See “Recommended Essential Water Creations” below for more information.)
- Organic, non-GMO, farm-fresh produce (cucumber, basil, lemons, limes, berries, etc.)
Add a few drops of essential oil to your chilled, farm-fresh produce and place it inside your glass container. Add spring or filtered water. Be sure to shake or stir mixture before serving.
Tips and Tricks:
- Use only glass containers and stainless steel spoons. Clear glass is best for the visual beauty of the beverage. I like to use canning jars or clear water pitchers.
- Make ice cubes with edible flowers or mint leaves infused with essential oils, and then add the cubes to the water. I like to use a small spray bottle to disperse essential oils over the flowers or herbs first. You can use the mist spray for the fresh produce, too.
- When using essential oils in water, I like to follow the “less is more” rule. One drop is usually plenty for quart- to half-gallon-size containers.
- I like to make an ingredient label for the Essential Waters so people know what they taste. I’ll usually write something like “Essential Water: Lemon/Tangerine.”
- Adding an essential oil to the same produce choice or similar adds extra flavor and aroma. For example, add lemon, lime, or orange essential oil to lemon, lime, or orange slices.
- Herbs such as elderberries or hibiscus can add great natural coloring to your Essential Waters.
- Lemon/Cucumber with 1 drop of Young Living Spearmint essential oil added to spearmint leaves or on lemon wedges; feel free to add lemon essential oil, too
- Orange/Cucumber with Citrus Fresh™ essential oil blend-infused orange wedges
- Lemon/Basil with Young Living Peppermint essential oil drop on lemon wedges
- Edible flower and essential oil ice cubes added to spring water
People often ask me why they should use essential oils in recipes. My question is, “Why wouldn’t you?” We are exposed to massive amounts of toxins in our environment and foods each day. Even the integrity of seeds and farming practices are a challenge for our health. The amount of additives and preservatives in foods and beverages is also a burden to our bodies. So why not add something uplifting to your foods and beverages to support your health?
Using Young Living essential oils in recipes uplifts the aroma and flavor and supports our lives. I usually add essential oils to cold recipes or at the very end of preparation. Young Living takes great care to properly distill these oils, so heating them as little as possible makes sense. I also use essential oils in conjunction with herbs and other fresh ingredients. The result is a fabulous marriage of taste and health-supporting meals, beverages, and delicious snacks!
Five Benefits for Using Essential Oils in Your Recipes
1. Essential oils are delicious in our foods and beverages!
2. They are stable and potent for years. Fresh and dried herbs have a short shelf life.
3. Using oils in the kitchen saves you time and money. Only tiny amounts need to be added to transform your kitchen creations.
4. Oils give you a variety of complex and delightful aromas and flavors.
5. You can travel easily with essential oils and even add them to foods and beverages while you are on the road!
Loquat Fruit Leather with Lemon and Lime Essential Oil
Recipe modified from Essential Gluten-Free Recipes by Tara Rayburn and Mary Vars
Loquats are sweet, tangy, and rich in fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. These little jewels usually grow in moist climates and tend to produce large harvests, which makes them great for fruit leather recipes. Young Living citrus oils amplify not only taste but also the nutritional benefits of the loquat. Fruit leather is a great snack for lunches, grab-and-go lifestyles, and gifting to others.
• 3 cups fresh loquats, seeds removed
• 1 fresh apple
• 3/4 cup organic, unsweetened fruit jelly (we loved apricot)
• 1–2 drops Young Living lime and lemon or tangerine and grapefruit essential oils
• Seed, peel, and puree loquats and apple until lumps are gone
• Add fruit jelly
• Mix well in food processor
• Pour into glass bowl
• Please Do Not put essential oils in the food processor or plastic containers. Oils draw toxins out of our bodies and will do the same with plastic bowls.
• Add your choice of Young Living essential oils.
• Mix well and spread thinly and evenly on parchment paper or a silicon baking sheet and put into your dehydrator for the recommended temperature and time. (Most dehydrators come with a guide sheet with basic temperatures and times for common recipes.)
• My Excalibur dehydrator calls for a setting of 135–145 degrees Fahrenheit for about 5–8 hours. Just wait until the fruit leather is mostly dried and slightly tacky to the touch.
• Your climate and altitude may affect the cook time and how much jelly you add. The jelly helps the leather stick together. I live in a desert climate and need to add more jelly. If you live in a humid climate, you may require less.
• When the fruit leather is completely dried, slice pieces with a pizza cutter or cut with kitchen scissors.
• Roll and wrap the fruit leather in unbleached wax paper. You can wrap them individually or as a sheet to be peeled off later.
• Fruit leather makes a fabulous holiday gift. Just put the rolls or pieces in a decorative glass jar, add a ribbon, and voila!
Comment on this blog post for a chance to win one of three sets of Young Living lime and lemon essential oils.
—Tara Rayburn, YL Distributor