A few weeks ago we gave ideas and recipes of how to avoid bringing home bedbugs when traveling. This week we are getting rid of bedbugs for good with the power of Young Living’s effective essential oils and products.
The following are tips, hints, and recipes for getting rid of those bothersome bugs. After today we will not need to panic when bedbugs come to stay; rather, we can implement the following ideas and live bedbug-free.
- Before washing, spray clothing and linens with either bedbug treatment recipes. Conduct a fabric test before spraying items to make sure they will tolerate your bedbug essential oil blend.
- For particularly difficult cases, wash and dry your items in the hottest water and settings tolerated by the fabrics. For added assurance, add 2-4 capfuls of Thieves® Household Cleaner for every medium to large load.
Hint: Use either Thieves Household Cleaner caps (14.4 oz. or 64 oz.). They both hold 10 ml or 2 teaspoons.
- Steam Treatment:
Add the below steam-treatment mixture to a steam machine or steam carpet cleaner.
- Remember that essential oils and water will not remain blended. You will need to shake the steam machine and or carpet cleaner often throughout the treatment for maximum benefits.
- Thoroughly steam floors, baseboards, bed frame, mattresses, rugs, carpeting, etc.
Bedbug Treatment Recipe No. 1
Mix ingredients together in a spray bottle and spritz over the areas you will be steaming.
Mix ingredients together in a spray bottle and spritz over the areas you will be steaming.
Hint: If you do not have the time or means to steam your furniture and flooring, you can lightly spritz the area with the mixture. Wait 30 minutes or longer before vacuuming. Only use a vacuum that has disposable bags.
Once you have thoroughly spritzed and steamed all infested areas, place sachets between the mattress and box springs, inside drawers and cubbies, behind headboards and footboards, and under any furniture cushions.
Bed Bug Essential Oil Sachet
24 muslin teabags
1 cup baking soda
10 drops Thieves essential oil blend
5 drops Purification essential oil blend
5 drops Geranium essential oil
5 drops Cedarwood essential oil
5 drops Idaho Tansy essential oil
2 drops Palo Santo essential oil
Mix well. Spoon the mixture into the muslin bags. Replace once the sachets have lost their aroma.
Repeat the process as needed. Professional pest control companies usually come back multiple times to eradicate bedbugs. Do not become discouraged if the bugs are not gone with your first attempt. Remember that you are using safe, effective, and powerful essential oils.
Hint: Take care around sensitive people, babies, and cats, especially kittens. They are very sensitive to some essential oils. Make sure that they are out of any room you are treating.
Finally, to keep your home bedbug-free, diffuse Thieves essential oil blend every few days.
I love hearing from you! Please comment on this blog or e-mail me at email@example.com.
—Gloria Russo, YL International and Portfolio Brand Manager, Personal Care
In many households, a pet is a significant member of the family. Therefore, our pets’ health and well-being is a priority. Just like humans, our four-legged friends need proper hygiene, a healthy diet, and extra care when becoming ill. The health-supporting benefits of Young Living’s essential oils can considerably contribute to your pets’ quality of life.
The most effective and easiest way to keep your pet’s coat in tip-top condition is by using Animal Scents™ Shampoo. Imbued with the power of citronella, lavandin, lemon, geranium, and spikenard essential oils, our pet shampoo gently cleanses, protects, and conditions without harmful ingredients.
For those situations when your pet is contending with fleas, we have included a do-it-yourself anti-flea spray recipe that will help you keep those pesky fleas far from your animal.
DIY ANTI-FLEA SPRAY
What you need:
16-oz. glass spray bottle (we recommend a dark amber glass spray bottle)
1 drop of Cedarwood essential oil
1 drop of Thyme essential oil
½ cup of V-6 Vegetable Oil Complex
Add ingredients into a glass spray bottle. Shake to combine. Lightly spray on your pet when needed.
Tips for Massaging Your Pets with Essential Oils
To enhance your grooming regimen and deepen your relationship with your pet, why not add a relaxing massage to your routine?
Follow these steps for the massage:
- Invite your pet to lie down.
- Start by stroking the areas you already know your pet enjoys.
- As your pet relaxes, start using long strokes. This will relax him/her even more.
- Once your pet stretches out, you know he/she is ready for the massage.
- If you would like to use V-6, then put a couple of drops on your fingertips.
- Begin with the head and with circular motions, gently work your fingertips over the entire body.
- Use small, soft movements with cats and small dogs and larger movements with bigger animals.
- The time invested is very insignificant to the pay off. With a cat or small dog, it will only take a couple of minutes. With larger breeds, it may take 10 minutes to finish the massage.
Once your pet is completely relaxed, it is a great time to brush or comb from head to tail. Just a few minutes a couple of times a week will not only keep your pet well-groomed and happy, but you will also recognize if any mood or physical changes need to be addressed with your vet.
When using Young Living products on your pets, remember size and physiology make them more sensitive to the effects of essential oils. Here is why:
- Most pets have a greater sense of smell
- Cats and small dogs have a low body weight
- Cats have thinner skin that allows essential oils to be easily and quickly absorbed in their bloodstream
- Cats’ livers do not function like humans or dogs. Bottom-line: less is better for a cat.
As with infants and toddlers, we advise care when administrating essential oils on your pets.
We would love to hear from you. Please share your experiences and ideas about the benefits of using essential animals on your pets.
—Gloria Russo, YL Product Marketing Manager
I’ve never been one to claim I have a green thumb, but one thing I do know is that insects and bugs ruin gardens. A few posts ago, I shared an all-natural way to keep those aerial pests from spoiling our days in the outdoors with a bug spray. This week I’d like to share a way to keep these pests from damaging our gardens. Generally, we use pesticides to deter insects from gardens; prevent plants, fruits, and vegetables from growing fungi; and to encourage growth. However, the in-store alternatives to treat these issues include harmful chemicals that have warnings if the product is ingested, if there is contact with eyes and skin, or even if it is inhaled. So we must ask ourselves: Is this something I want to spray on my flowers, fruits, or vegetables? Unequivocally, the answer is no. So why not use something safe, effective, and chemical free? Here’s a simple recipe to keep your garden growing so you can enjoy truly fresh foods!
• Distilled water
• Spray bottle
• Liquid dish soap (biodegradable)
• Spearmint essential oil
• Citronella essential oil
• Lavender essential oil
• Blue tansy essential oil
• Cedarwood essential oil
• Fill an 8-oz. spray bottle with distilled water
• Add 1 ½ tablespoons of liquid dish soap
• Add 3–4 drops of each essential oil
• Mix and spray generously on plants, fruits, and vegetables
Did you know?
• Spearmint essential oil can help deter ants and aphids
• Citronella essential oil can help deter gnats and mosquitos
• Lavender essential oil can help deter fleas, moths, and flies
• Blue tansy essential oil can help deter flies
• Cedarwood essential oil can help deter snails and slugs
• Lemon and orange essential oils can help reduce fungi from growing on plants
Please feel free to share other essential oils you like to use in your garden and any success stories you may have when using essential oils as the safer alternative to harsh chemicals found in pesticides.
—Marco Colindres III, YL Product Marketing Manager
The other day I was talking to some old acquaintances, who asked me what I do for a living. When I said that I work for Young Living Essential Oils, the questions started pouring in. The one question they asked that stuck in my mind was, “What exactly can you do with essential oils?” The obvious answers are to diffuse them, take some internally, and apply some topically. However, I started thinking that maybe it is better to have more specific uses for essential oils and everyday ways to experience their therapeutic benefits. Because of this, I would like to dedicate time to new ideas each month on the product blog.
Earlier this week I shared a recipe from one of our distributors that was sure to bring good health to your dinner table using essential oils.
Today I’d like to share something a little different. Here’s a simple alternative to store-bought shaving cream with a Young Living twist that will keep your skin smooth and hydrated.
Easy Homemade Shaving Cream
What You Need:
• 2 tablespoons V-6™ Vegetable Oil Complex
• 2 drops cedarwood essential oil
• 2 drops lavender essential oil
• 1 drop lime essential oil
• Mix the cedarwood, lavender, and lime essential oils in a bowl.
• Add the V-6 Vegetable Oil Complex and stir.
• Add the conditioner of choice to the mixture and whip it until it is light and creamy.
• Gently apply to your face, legs, or other areas and begin shaving.
The beauty of this recipe is that you can substitute a wide array of oils for your own personal needs.
Enjoy—and please share your experience below.
Marco Colindres III—YL Product Marketing Manager