It is time for a summer challenge: Get in your car and drive down the street. I bet you won’t make it out of your neighborhood without seeing a child’s lemonade stand. Aren’t they the reason we keep a few extra quarters in our car? For a meager 50 cents you can buy an escape from summer’s squelching heat. If only it were that easy to soothe and protect our internal systems. Each day we are bombarded with free radicals, pesticides, and other external stresses. Nature’s plan for defending us against these forces comes in the form of antioxidants—and there are few antioxidants more powerful than d-limonene.
D-limonene was named after lemon because of the high concentrations of this constituent found in the rind. A powerful antioxidant, d-limonene is known to boost immune function and protect cells, and has traditionally been used for weight loss and to treat bronchitis.
High concentrations of d-limonene are found in the following Young Living citrus-derived products:
- Grapefruit essential oil—Fresh, citrus aroma known to energize and uplift when feeling stressed or unhappy. Creates the sense of fullness when used in conjunction with a healthy weight-management system.
- Lemon essential oil—Strong, citrus aroma that refreshes and stimulates the mind, improves memory, promotes a sense of well-being, and works as an insect repellant. It is also useful as a cleaning aid.
- Orange essential oil—Rich, fruity aroma that lifts the spirit while providing a calming influence. It also encourages positive emotions.
- Tangerine essential oil—Sweet, tangy aroma known to help with occasional nervous irritability and promote a sense of security.
My favorite usage tips:
- Add to food or rice as a dietary supplement.
- Add to soy milk or a smoothie as flavoring.
- Add to lemonade for variety and depth.
Let’s not let children hold the corner market on this summer treat. It is time for each of us to enjoy the benefits of having our own d-limonene stand. Isn’t our health worth more than 50 cents?
Please reply with your favorite YL citrus essential oil. Make sure to include your favorite way to use it.
—Ryan Seely, YL Product Marketing Manager
My children love the surprise of eating ice cream for breakfast. I am thrilled that they are refreshed with nutritious energy.
Orange Banana Ice Cream
(Yields 6 servings)
- 6 bananas
- Young Living orange essential oil
Peel and quarter bananas. Freeze for at least 24 hours. Process frozen bananas through a twin gear, auger, or masticating juicer. Drop five drops of orange essential oil on each serving. Note: My machine choices are the Hurom or Champion brand juicers for perfect soft-serve ice cream.
Ginger Pineapple Sauce
(Yields 2 cups)
- 2 cups pineapple, chopped
- 2 tablespoons creamy, raw honey
- 1/2–1 teaspoon fresh, grated ginger
- 1 drop Young Living ginger essential oil
Blend ingredients in a high-speed blender until smooth. Serve with Orange Banana Ice Cream.
Dorado azul is recognized largely for its role in respiratory support. This essential oil can be used in many situations to support in the sinuses or lungs. Not surprisingly, dorado azul has high levels of eucalyptol and has a long history of use in folk medicine. The dorado azul plant has been used historically as a daily, mild beverage—especially during the fall and winter months. Today, many users comment that dorado azul provides as much respiratory support as mint and eucalyptus. Users also observe that this Ecuador oil delivers comparable results without the intensity and discomfort sometimes experienced with other oils.
In addition to its respiratory benefits, dorado azul is proving to be a very effective ingredient in essential oil blends that repel insects and pests. In fact, there is the existing literature that promotes the use of dorado azul as an insecticide that can be used to protect stored grain from moths and weevils. Try placing a few cotton balls saturated with dorado azul in food storage areas to protect items from destructive insects.
Both dorado azul and ocotea essential oils have a balanced and broad chemistry. They wield noteworthy levels of what scientists currently consider the “active” ingredients: ocotea contains substantial levels of cinnamaldehyde and beta-caryophyllene; dorado azul is high in eucalyptol. Could it be that when it comes to function and results, Mother Nature knows best? For decades, cinnamon, clove, mint, and eucalyptus have been largely cultivated, managed, and controlled in order to contain the chemical profile that science deems desirable. However, these Ecuador plant species have continued to grow, evolve, and thrive in the wilds of the Amazon basin. It seems that the remarkably rich soil in the fertile Amazon basin may produce higher-quality oil.
Gary Young and the staff at Young Living’s Ecuador farm, Finca Botanica Aromatica, are very hands-on with the production of dorado azul and ocotea. As they continue to research and experiment with these unique offering, there is no doubt that essential oil enthusiasts around the world will benefit from their hard work and dedication!
Godspeed in your quest for health,
Don’t tell their famous plant relatives, but Ecuador oils ocotea and dorado azul have it where it counts. In fact, broader use of these oils is revealing remarkable and intriguing therapeutic distinction.
Both ocotea (Ocotea quixos) and dorado azul (Hyptis suaveolens) belong to plant families with storied functional and therapeutic reputations. Ocotea comes from the Lauraceae family (cinnamon, bay laurel, etc.); dorado azul comes from the Lamiaceae family (mint, sage, spice oils). These oils from the Amazon basin share many phytochemical properties and functions that have made their relatives some of the most widely used and valued oils throughout the world. However, very little was known about how the specific qualities of these Ecuador species might compare to their famous cousins until Young Living’s founder, Gary Young, took an interest.
Gary was intrigued by the initial phytochemical analysis of these species and was encouraged by his assessment of the growing conditions and sustainability. But what impressed him the most was when he and others started to apply the oils. The words used again and again were “balanced chemistry” and “balanced physical and emotional response.” These promising beginnings have expanded dramatically as Young Living’s vast distributor force has begun implementing these oils. Their experiences are changing the world of essential oil therapy. Again and again knowledgeable and experienced essential oils practitioners are reporting improved therapeutic results with ocotea and dorado azul.
The results using ocotea internally for maintaining healthy blood sugar levels have been especially remarkable. Thousands of people report that ocotea is invaluable as a weight-management tool. Its blood-sugar balancing effect helps curb appetite and prevent binging. It can also help restore balance if someone happens to consume too many high-sugar foods.
The science is clear: blood sugar spikes unleash a devastating biochemical cascade, which causes a host of problems. No wonder balanced blood sugar can have dramatic, positive effects such as improved mood, improved immunity, and improved inflammatory response—just to name a few. Of note is that many who have had success using cinnamon essential oil for its blood sugar maintenance effect are reporting improved results with ocotea. In addition most find ocotea less caustic or irritating on sensitive tongue, skin, and digestive tissues. This gentler response further ensures success by dramatically increasing usability and compliance. This is especially impressive when one considers that ocotea is a kinder, friendlier cinnamon but still delivers serious microbiological activity.
Godspeed in your quest for health,
—Doug Corrigan, YL Sales and Product Training
Give your dad or that important man in your life the gift of health this Father’s Day. Sarah Sullivan from Louisiana is going to do exactly that. She is the winner of our Facebook contest to win a year’s supply of Prostate Health™!
After the random drawing, we took a closer look at Sarah’s comment. It is a great story of precaution and being proactive. Her father-in-law was diagnosed with prostate cancer five years ago, so her husband is taking Prostate Health and has been since the product launched in February. According to Sarah, “He loved that YL came out with this product!” Sarah is a great example of someone who is helping the man in her life to help himself through Young Living’s great products. Congratulations to Sarah Sullivan and her family for winning the Young Living Father’s Day Facebook contest.
It’s never too late to begin a natural regimen that addresses prostate concerns and helps maintain prostate health! Let’s take a look at the primary benefits of Young Living’s Prostate Health supplement:
+ Supports healthy prostate function and helps normal male glandular function
+ Helps maintain healthy urinary tract function and male life activities
+ Supports healthy inflammation response*
So who should take Prostate Health?
+ Adult males 40 years of age or older
+ Any adult male who desires a healthy prostate and overall male glandular system support
+ Any adult male who wants to support a healthy sex life and urinary tract flow*
As Facebook comments came in from all over the world, it was evident that many of you have important loved ones in your life who you are concerned about . So to show appreciation to the male in your life, what better gift to give than the gift of health and longevity?
Happy Father’s Day to all of those fantastic men out there!
—Derek Cullimore, YL Product Marketing Manager
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
As the temperatures rise, be sure to give yourself the cooling, minty refreshment that Young Living’s peppermint essential oil provides. One of the best things to do during a hot, summer evening is to rub some soothing peppermint on the bottoms of your feet.
There are very few things out there that can soothe and relax while also giving you the clarity, focus, and pick-me-up that you need during a day when you feel just a little off. Peppermint falls into that rare category, which makes it such a vital and outstanding part of your aromatherapy and essential oil options.
Some exciting research has been done with peppermint essential oil that studies an increase of concentration and alertness and even memory. Simply take your bottle of Young Living peppermint oil and place a drop of the oil on your tongue or add it to flavor and cool your water, lemonade, or favorite tea.
Let’s examine a few other exciting and versatile ways you can utilize your peppermint oil and reap the benefits of nature’s living energy:
- Add a drop of peppermint essential oil to herbal tea to help aid normal digestion.
- Massage several drops of peppermint essential oil on your abdomen, place a drop on your wrists, or inhale to soothe the minor stomach discomfort associated with travel.
- Rub one drop of peppermint essential oil on your temples, forehead, over your sinuses (careful to avoid contact with your eyes), and on the back of your neck to relieve head pressure.
- Place two drops of peppermint essential oil on your tongue and rub another drop of oil under your nose to help improve concentration and alertness.
- Apply peppermint essential oil to the back of your neck and shoulders throughout the day to keep energy up.
- Inhale peppermint essential oil, apply topically to your temples or neck, or put a drop on your tongue or in water to jump-start your morning routine.
- Diffuse or inhale peppermint essential oil mid-morning to curb the desire to snack.
- Inhale peppermint essential oil or rub a drop onto your abdomen to soothe minor stomach discomfort.
Keep in mind that Young Living’s peppermint oil is a great way to introduce your neighbors, friends, and family to the wonderful and exciting world of essential oils. Help others see what they’ve been missing by introducing them to the versatile world of peppermint!
—Derek Cullimore, YL Product Marketing Manager
With summer comes swimming, barbeques, and camping. We look forward to hitting the road and soaking in every hour of daylight we can. But as you get out you may also encounter screaming kids, dirt, bug, and sunburns. Don’t let these issues spoil your plans or stress you out! Follow these fun, fast steps with Young Living’s Essential 7 kit and you will be off to enjoy the summer fun.
- Joy™: Take the top off of a bottle of Joy essential oil blend and let everyone (including the driver) smell this wonderful scent that will calm any fighting, relieve tension, and uplift everyone as you travel.
- Lavender: Lavender is a great essential oil for mom, dad, or anyone else who has tension from a long drive or rigorous activities. Apply to the back of the head or forehead and feel the stress release. If you get overheated, add a few drops to V-6™ Enhanced Vegetable Oil Complex and apply it to your skin.
- Peppermint: Put a drop of peppermint essential oil in water to cool down on a hot day, relieve tension, and refresh the body, mind, and spirit.
- Lemon: Add a few drops of lemon essential oil to a rag and wipe off outdoor tables to get rid of germs that may be hiding in the wood.
- Peace & Calming®: Apply Peace & Calming essential oil blend to everyone’s feet at the end of a long ride. This blend calms the system and helps everyone sleep through the night.
- PanAway®: Rub PanAway essential oil blend over the shoulders and back to release tight, sore muscles after sitting for a long day’s travel or after rugged, outdoor activities.
- Purification®: Pull back the sheets at the motel or campsite and sprinkle Purification essential oil blend over the mattresses to create a clean area to sleep. This blend will kill germs and repel insects that may have made their home in the mattress.
Use these tips with your Essential 7 kit to prepare you and your family for the perfect summer trip.
Peace be with you,
Kaye Lynne Murphy, LMT
Kaye Lynne Murphy, LMT, is a licensed massage therapist specializing in Raindrop Therapy and emotional release on people of all ages. She is the author of the 15-min. Feelings Release CD, which follows the Feelings Kit, and a 30-min. Raindrop Therapy DVD. Her practice includes helping adults and children better themselves by using Young Living Therapeutic Grade™ essential oils. She uses only Young Living products in her practice. You can register for her free e-NewsLetter at www.kayelynne.com
It’s no secret that hydration is key in the summer, not only for your body, but also for your hair! While warmer temperatures bring fun in the sun, time spent at the beach, park, or just outdoors also brings more of the drying damage that can stress your tresses. Moisture is the key—and healthy moisture will do wonders for your locks and your well-being. So if you haven’t tried Young Living’s new Copaiba Vanilla Shampoo and Conditioner, now is the time!
No matter what type of hair you have, these new Young Living products will provide you with extra moisture over the summer months. The copaiba and vanilla essential oils will promote healthy strands and scalp, as well as provide the therapeutic benefit to mind and body of using pure essential oils for your personal care.
Other tips to help take care of you and your hair this summer:
- Avoid taking hot showers or washing your hair in hot water. Use warm or cool water instead. Too much heat can dry out or damage your hair and skin.
- Chlorine causes severe dryness to your hair. Before you go swimming, dampen your hair to reduce the absorption of chlorine. Shampoo as soon as possible after swimming to get the residue and chlorine out of your hair. Lavender Mint Cleansing Shampoo is a great, invigorating shampoo to choose to get rid of the residue and refresh your senses.
- Keep a straw hat, cap, or scarf on hand as a fashionable skin and hair saver. Just like your skin, your hair and scalp feel the sun’s damaging rays.
- Try shampooing your hair less often. Skipping a shampoo day in the summer is great for your hair IF you aren’t swimming or doing activities that are taxing your tresses. Young Living’s LavaDerm™ Cooling Mist is a great refresher for your hair and your skin on days when your hair may not need the full shampoo treatment.
- Avoid using additional heat on your hair when possible. If you can’t avoid your dryer or your flat iron, just make sure to condition your hair before using.
The more you do to keep your hair strong through the summer months, the less time you’ll spend in the fall repairing the damage. Keep in mind that the new Lavender Mint and Copaiba Vanilla shampoos and conditioners are not only natural and effective, but are also 100-percent biodegradable. These new products are great to take with you to the beach, to the campsite, or anywhere your travels take you. You can keep your hair healthy and treat the environment well, too!
I’d love to hear how you’ve used our new hair-care products and any additional tips or tricks you have for keeping your hair healthy through the summer!
—Rebecca Jarvis, Essential Living Product Manager