Winter can be a difficult season on your physical and emotional health. The days are shorter, it is cold in most parts of the country, and colds and the flu are more prevalent.
During any season there are a few basics that can help to maintain optimal physical and mental health, such as eating healthful foods, drinking lots of water, exercising regularly, and getting enough sleep. However, you may be doing everything “right” and still need a little extra support to get you through those short winter days and long winter nights. Whether diffusing, applying topically, or taking internally, Young Living essential oils can help you strengthen your physical wellness, improve your emotional balance, and fill your home with safe, purifying products.
Here are some ways you can incorporate Young Living essential oils and essential oil-infused products into your daily routine to support your health all winter long:
Utilize the Power of Thieves:
- To help control the spread of germs, wash your hands frequently and incorporate the health-supporting power of any of our Thieves® products.
- Diffuse Thieves essential oil blend day or night to help purify and humidify the air.
- Clean household surfaces with Thieves Wipes or Thieves Household Cleaner.
- If you’re on the go, help sanitize the air with a squirt or two of Thieves Spray.
- Keep Thieves Waterless Hand Purifier in your car, at your desk, and in your purse or bag for a quick and easy cleansing shot. I frequently use a napkin and a small drop to clean my desktop.
Support the Body’s Natural Defenses:
- Citrus oils such as Citrus Fresh™, Grapefruit, Lemon, Lime, Orange, and Tangerine help support the body’s natural defenses. Plus, the fresh, vibrant citrus scents can also help boost your mood during short winter days.
- Mountain Savory™ revitalizes and stimulates the body and has strong purifying properties.
- Clove is an important ingredient in Thieves and helps support the body’s natural response to stress.
- Oregano is known as a purifying oil.
- Thyme was traditionally regarded for its cleansing properties.
- ImmuPower™ is great to diffuse or apply topically to the feet and hands.
- Purification® deodorizes and neutralizes the air.
Support Respiratory Health:
- R.C.™ has three varieties of Eucalyptus and is comforting when applied to the chest and throat.
- Thieves Lozenges deliver the cleansing power of Thieves for long-lasting relief.
- Breathe Again™ Roll-On creates a soothing aroma.
- Peppermint eases tension and, along with Myrtle and Pine, supports healthy respiratory function.
Get a Good Night’s Sleep:
- Take a soothing bath before bed with some Epsom salts and Peace & Calming® or Dream Catcher™ to promote relaxation.
- Put some water and RutaVaLa™ or Lavender in a spray bottle and spray it on your pillow.
- Diffuse Harmony™, Valor®, Gentle Baby™, Trauma Life™, Stress Away™, or Angelica to help bring a peaceful night’s slumber.
Please leave a comment below to share how you use essential oils to help maintain your health in the winter months.
—Heidi Jeanfreau, YL International and Portfolio Brand Manager
Diffusing activates the powerful plant constituents found in Young Living essential oils. Whether in your family room, office, kitchen, or bedroom, diffusing essential oils can help eliminate odors and provide an uplifting mood in your home.
Creating Custom Blends
While a few of our most popular oil blends include Thieves®, Peace & Calming®, Valor®, Purification®, R.C™, and Joy™, you can also create many combinations by mixing single oils or adding singles to our oil blends. The possibilities are endless!
At our global headquarters, several Young Living employees have created their own custom diffusing blends. Here’s a favorite blend of McKenna H., who works in our Will Call:
- 7-10 drops Lime
- 6-8 drops Tangerine
- 2-3 drops Melaleuca Quinquenervia
- 1 drop Petitgrain
- 2 drops Frankincense
Other custom blends ideas from Young Living employees include:
- Eucalyptus Radiata and Grapefruit for a fresh, clean aroma
- Jasmine, Orange, and Tangerine to create a scent reminiscent of spring
- Sandalwood, Frankincense, and Hong Kuai to help promote deeper meditation
- Christmas Spirit™ and Pine or Juniper to create a cozy, winter aroma
Favorite Diffuser Blends from Young Living Facebook fans:
“I created a blend for my daughter’s fourth-grade class to clear the room and help with focus: Peppermint, Clove, Eucalyptus, and Lemongrass.” –Yvonne S., Member
“I like to diffuse Peppermint and Thieves. It makes for a very fresh-smelling home, while cleaning the air of impurities at the same time.” –Gail T., Silver
“For freshening air and getting rid of bugs, I use Purification, Peppermint, Valor, and Thieves.”
–Tiffany V., Senior Star
“Peace & Calming with some Christmas Spirit at night makes me sleep like a baby, and I wake up happy in the morning!” –Shelly M., Star
“My favorite: 2 drops Joy, 2 drops Abundance ™, 5 drops Citrus Fresh, and 3 drops Peppermint.” –Renee D., Star
“Lavender and Orange is a great mix for relaxation and creates a wonderful fragrance.” –Glenda M., Member
“Lavender and Peace & Calming at bedtime creates restful nights for the whole family.” –Darcy D., Star
What are some of your favorite diffuser blends, and what do you use them for? Leave a comment and let us know. We always love to hear from you!
—Heidi Jeanfreau, YL International and Portfolio Brand Manager
With the start of the new year and the launch of Young Living’s new Slique in 60 program, we have seen a rise in interest for Young Living products that help support weight-management goals.* Here are some recommended products from Young Living’s product management team:
Balance Complete™ is Young Living’s answer to meal replacement. Along with delivering 11 grams of fiber per serving, Balance Complete contains protein, vitamins, and minerals necessary for optimal nutrition.
Power Meal™ is a delicious, vegetarian, rice-based meal replacement. It is rich in calcium, antioxidants and amino acids and delivers an impressive 20 grams of protein per serving.
Pure Protein Complete™ is the perfect anytime protein boost. It provides 20 grams of a proprietary whey protein blend that is supported by a specialized enzyme blend, a low-glycemic carbohydrate matrix, and generous amounts of complementary vitamins and minerals.
NingXia Red® is a powerful antioxidant drink that contains whole Ningxia wolfberry puree—a super blend of blueberry, aronia, cherry, pomegranate, and plum juices, natural stevia extract, grape seed extract, pure vanilla extract, and Orange, Yuzu, Lemon, and Tangerine essential oils.
Core Supplements™ adds vitamins and minerals to your daily health routine to support optimal health and wellness in one kit. The kit now includes OmegaGize3™, our reformulated Life 5™, Longevity™, and True Source™.
Digest & Cleanse™ alleviates bloating and supports an already healthy digestive tract.**
Grapefruit essential oil has a fresh, citrus aroma that is energizing and uplifting. Like many cold-pressed citrus oils, it is a popular oil to use in conjunction with weight-management programs.
Peppermint essential oil is one of the oldest and most highly regarded oils for supporting digestion.**
Stevia Extract has a glycemic index of zero and is a great alternative to refined sugars when preparing food.
As always, we’d love to hear from you! Leave a comment on this blog telling us which of the products mentioned above you will be using to help support your weight-management goals. To help encourage your participation, we’re giving away a Slique Collection to four lucky winners! Each winner will win one of following prizes, including Slique Maintain (Item No. 4711), Slique Assist (Item No. 4712), Slique Advanced (Item No. 4713), and Slique Complete (Item Number 4714). To enter, leave a comment on this blog post. Winners will be announced on a future blog post. Good luck!
—Ryan Seely, YL Associate Product Manager
*When combined with a healthy diet and exercise.
**These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease
People often ask me why they should use essential oils in recipes. My question is, “Why wouldn’t you?” We are exposed to massive amounts of toxins in our environment and foods each day. Even the integrity of seeds and farming practices are a challenge for our health. The amount of additives and preservatives in foods and beverages is also a burden to our bodies. So why not add something uplifting to your foods and beverages to support your health?
Using Young Living essential oils in recipes uplifts the aroma and flavor and supports our lives. I usually add essential oils to cold recipes or at the very end of preparation. Young Living takes great care to properly distill these oils, so heating them as little as possible makes sense. I also use essential oils in conjunction with herbs and other fresh ingredients. The result is a fabulous marriage of taste and health-supporting meals, beverages, and delicious snacks!
Five Benefits for Using Essential Oils in Your Recipes
1. Essential oils are delicious in our foods and beverages!
2. They are stable and potent for years. Fresh and dried herbs have a short shelf life.
3. Using oils in the kitchen saves you time and money. Only tiny amounts need to be added to transform your kitchen creations.
4. Oils give you a variety of complex and delightful aromas and flavors.
5. You can travel easily with essential oils and even add them to foods and beverages while you are on the road!
Loquat Fruit Leather with Lemon and Lime Essential Oil
Recipe modified from Essential Gluten-Free Recipes by Tara Rayburn and Mary Vars
Loquats are sweet, tangy, and rich in fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. These little jewels usually grow in moist climates and tend to produce large harvests, which makes them great for fruit leather recipes. Young Living citrus oils amplify not only taste but also the nutritional benefits of the loquat. Fruit leather is a great snack for lunches, grab-and-go lifestyles, and gifting to others.
• 3 cups fresh loquats, seeds removed
• 1 fresh apple
• 3/4 cup organic, unsweetened fruit jelly (we loved apricot)
• 1–2 drops Young Living lime and lemon or tangerine and grapefruit essential oils
• Seed, peel, and puree loquats and apple until lumps are gone
• Add fruit jelly
• Mix well in food processor
• Pour into glass bowl
• Please Do Not put essential oils in the food processor or plastic containers. Oils draw toxins out of our bodies and will do the same with plastic bowls.
• Add your choice of Young Living essential oils.
• Mix well and spread thinly and evenly on parchment paper or a silicon baking sheet and put into your dehydrator for the recommended temperature and time. (Most dehydrators come with a guide sheet with basic temperatures and times for common recipes.)
• My Excalibur dehydrator calls for a setting of 135–145 degrees Fahrenheit for about 5–8 hours. Just wait until the fruit leather is mostly dried and slightly tacky to the touch.
• Your climate and altitude may affect the cook time and how much jelly you add. The jelly helps the leather stick together. I live in a desert climate and need to add more jelly. If you live in a humid climate, you may require less.
• When the fruit leather is completely dried, slice pieces with a pizza cutter or cut with kitchen scissors.
• Roll and wrap the fruit leather in unbleached wax paper. You can wrap them individually or as a sheet to be peeled off later.
• Fruit leather makes a fabulous holiday gift. Just put the rolls or pieces in a decorative glass jar, add a ribbon, and voila!
Comment on this blog post for a chance to win one of three sets of Young Living lime and lemon essential oils.
—Tara Rayburn, YL Distributor