Winter can be a difficult season on your physical and emotional health. The days are shorter, it is cold in most parts of the country, and colds and the flu are more prevalent.
During any season there are a few basics that can help to maintain optimal physical and mental health, such as eating healthful foods, drinking lots of water, exercising regularly, and getting enough sleep. However, you may be doing everything “right” and still need a little extra support to get you through those short winter days and long winter nights. Whether diffusing, applying topically, or taking internally, Young Living essential oils can help you strengthen your physical wellness, improve your emotional balance, and fill your home with safe, purifying products.
Here are some ways you can incorporate Young Living essential oils and essential oil-infused products into your daily routine to support your health all winter long:
Utilize the Power of Thieves:
- To help control the spread of germs, wash your hands frequently and incorporate the health-supporting power of any of our Thieves® products.
- Diffuse Thieves essential oil blend day or night to help purify and humidify the air.
- Clean household surfaces with Thieves Wipes or Thieves Household Cleaner.
- If you’re on the go, help sanitize the air with a squirt or two of Thieves Spray.
- Keep Thieves Waterless Hand Purifier in your car, at your desk, and in your purse or bag for a quick and easy cleansing shot. I frequently use a napkin and a small drop to clean my desktop.
Support the Body’s Natural Defenses:
- Citrus oils such as Citrus Fresh™, Grapefruit, Lemon, Lime, Orange, and Tangerine help support the body’s natural defenses. Plus, the fresh, vibrant citrus scents can also help boost your mood during short winter days.
- Mountain Savory™ revitalizes and stimulates the body and has strong purifying properties.
- Clove is an important ingredient in Thieves and helps support the body’s natural response to stress.
- Oregano is known as a purifying oil.
- Thyme was traditionally regarded for its cleansing properties.
- ImmuPower™ is great to diffuse or apply topically to the feet and hands.
- Purification® deodorizes and neutralizes the air.
Support Respiratory Health:
- R.C.™ has three varieties of Eucalyptus and is comforting when applied to the chest and throat.
- Thieves Lozenges deliver the cleansing power of Thieves for long-lasting relief.
- Breathe Again™ Roll-On creates a soothing aroma.
- Peppermint eases tension and, along with Myrtle and Pine, supports healthy respiratory function.
Get a Good Night’s Sleep:
- Take a soothing bath before bed with some Epsom salts and Peace & Calming® or Dream Catcher™ to promote relaxation.
- Put some water and RutaVaLa™ or Lavender in a spray bottle and spray it on your pillow.
- Diffuse Harmony™, Valor®, Gentle Baby™, Trauma Life™, Stress Away™, or Angelica to help bring a peaceful night’s slumber.
Please leave a comment below to share how you use essential oils to help maintain your health in the winter months.
—Heidi Jeanfreau, YL International and Portfolio Brand Manager
Diffusing activates the powerful plant constituents found in Young Living essential oils. Whether in your family room, office, kitchen, or bedroom, diffusing essential oils can help eliminate odors and provide an uplifting mood in your home.
Creating Custom Blends
While a few of our most popular oil blends include Thieves®, Peace & Calming®, Valor®, Purification®, R.C™, and Joy™, you can also create many combinations by mixing single oils or adding singles to our oil blends. The possibilities are endless!
At our global headquarters, several Young Living employees have created their own custom diffusing blends. Here’s a favorite blend of McKenna H., who works in our Will Call:
- 7-10 drops Lime
- 6-8 drops Tangerine
- 2-3 drops Melaleuca Quinquenervia
- 1 drop Petitgrain
- 2 drops Frankincense
Other custom blends ideas from Young Living employees include:
- Eucalyptus Radiata and Grapefruit for a fresh, clean aroma
- Jasmine, Orange, and Tangerine to create a scent reminiscent of spring
- Sandalwood, Frankincense, and Hong Kuai to help promote deeper meditation
- Christmas Spirit™ and Pine or Juniper to create a cozy, winter aroma
Favorite Diffuser Blends from Young Living Facebook fans:
“I created a blend for my daughter’s fourth-grade class to clear the room and help with focus: Peppermint, Clove, Eucalyptus, and Lemongrass.” –Yvonne S., Member
“I like to diffuse Peppermint and Thieves. It makes for a very fresh-smelling home, while cleaning the air of impurities at the same time.” –Gail T., Silver
“For freshening air and getting rid of bugs, I use Purification, Peppermint, Valor, and Thieves.”
–Tiffany V., Senior Star
“Peace & Calming with some Christmas Spirit at night makes me sleep like a baby, and I wake up happy in the morning!” –Shelly M., Star
“My favorite: 2 drops Joy, 2 drops Abundance ™, 5 drops Citrus Fresh, and 3 drops Peppermint.” –Renee D., Star
“Lavender and Orange is a great mix for relaxation and creates a wonderful fragrance.” –Glenda M., Member
“Lavender and Peace & Calming at bedtime creates restful nights for the whole family.” –Darcy D., Star
What are some of your favorite diffuser blends, and what do you use them for? Leave a comment and let us know. We always love to hear from you!
—Heidi Jeanfreau, YL International and Portfolio Brand Manager
With the start of the new year and the launch of Young Living’s new Slique in 60 program, we have seen a rise in interest for Young Living products that help support weight-management goals.* Here are some recommended products from Young Living’s product management team:
Balance Complete™ is Young Living’s answer to meal replacement. Along with delivering 11 grams of fiber per serving, Balance Complete contains protein, vitamins, and minerals necessary for optimal nutrition.
Power Meal™ is a delicious, vegetarian, rice-based meal replacement. It is rich in calcium, antioxidants and amino acids and delivers an impressive 20 grams of protein per serving.
Pure Protein Complete™ is the perfect anytime protein boost. It provides 20 grams of a proprietary whey protein blend that is supported by a specialized enzyme blend, a low-glycemic carbohydrate matrix, and generous amounts of complementary vitamins and minerals.
NingXia Red® is a powerful antioxidant drink that contains whole Ningxia wolfberry puree—a super blend of blueberry, aronia, cherry, pomegranate, and plum juices, natural stevia extract, grape seed extract, pure vanilla extract, and Orange, Yuzu, Lemon, and Tangerine essential oils.
Core Supplements™ adds vitamins and minerals to your daily health routine to support optimal health and wellness in one kit. The kit now includes OmegaGize3™, our reformulated Life 5™, Longevity™, and True Source™.
Digest & Cleanse™ alleviates bloating and supports an already healthy digestive tract.**
Grapefruit essential oil has a fresh, citrus aroma that is energizing and uplifting. Like many cold-pressed citrus oils, it is a popular oil to use in conjunction with weight-management programs.
Peppermint essential oil is one of the oldest and most highly regarded oils for supporting digestion.**
Stevia Extract has a glycemic index of zero and is a great alternative to refined sugars when preparing food.
As always, we’d love to hear from you! Leave a comment on this blog telling us which of the products mentioned above you will be using to help support your weight-management goals. To help encourage your participation, we’re giving away a Slique Collection to four lucky winners! Each winner will win one of following prizes, including Slique Maintain (Item No. 4711), Slique Assist (Item No. 4712), Slique Advanced (Item No. 4713), and Slique Complete (Item Number 4714). To enter, leave a comment on this blog post. Winners will be announced on a future blog post. Good luck!
—Ryan Seely, YL Associate Product Manager
*When combined with a healthy diet and exercise.
**These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease
People often ask me why they should use essential oils in recipes. My question is, “Why wouldn’t you?” We are exposed to massive amounts of toxins in our environment and foods each day. Even the integrity of seeds and farming practices are a challenge for our health. The amount of additives and preservatives in foods and beverages is also a burden to our bodies. So why not add something uplifting to your foods and beverages to support your health?
Using Young Living essential oils in recipes uplifts the aroma and flavor and supports our lives. I usually add essential oils to cold recipes or at the very end of preparation. Young Living takes great care to properly distill these oils, so heating them as little as possible makes sense. I also use essential oils in conjunction with herbs and other fresh ingredients. The result is a fabulous marriage of taste and health-supporting meals, beverages, and delicious snacks!
Five Benefits for Using Essential Oils in Your Recipes
1. Essential oils are delicious in our foods and beverages!
2. They are stable and potent for years. Fresh and dried herbs have a short shelf life.
3. Using oils in the kitchen saves you time and money. Only tiny amounts need to be added to transform your kitchen creations.
4. Oils give you a variety of complex and delightful aromas and flavors.
5. You can travel easily with essential oils and even add them to foods and beverages while you are on the road!
Loquat Fruit Leather with Lemon and Lime Essential Oil
Recipe modified from Essential Gluten-Free Recipes by Tara Rayburn and Mary Vars
Loquats are sweet, tangy, and rich in fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. These little jewels usually grow in moist climates and tend to produce large harvests, which makes them great for fruit leather recipes. Young Living citrus oils amplify not only taste but also the nutritional benefits of the loquat. Fruit leather is a great snack for lunches, grab-and-go lifestyles, and gifting to others.
• 3 cups fresh loquats, seeds removed
• 1 fresh apple
• 3/4 cup organic, unsweetened fruit jelly (we loved apricot)
• 1–2 drops Young Living lime and lemon or tangerine and grapefruit essential oils
• Seed, peel, and puree loquats and apple until lumps are gone
• Add fruit jelly
• Mix well in food processor
• Pour into glass bowl
• Please Do Not put essential oils in the food processor or plastic containers. Oils draw toxins out of our bodies and will do the same with plastic bowls.
• Add your choice of Young Living essential oils.
• Mix well and spread thinly and evenly on parchment paper or a silicon baking sheet and put into your dehydrator for the recommended temperature and time. (Most dehydrators come with a guide sheet with basic temperatures and times for common recipes.)
• My Excalibur dehydrator calls for a setting of 135–145 degrees Fahrenheit for about 5–8 hours. Just wait until the fruit leather is mostly dried and slightly tacky to the touch.
• Your climate and altitude may affect the cook time and how much jelly you add. The jelly helps the leather stick together. I live in a desert climate and need to add more jelly. If you live in a humid climate, you may require less.
• When the fruit leather is completely dried, slice pieces with a pizza cutter or cut with kitchen scissors.
• Roll and wrap the fruit leather in unbleached wax paper. You can wrap them individually or as a sheet to be peeled off later.
• Fruit leather makes a fabulous holiday gift. Just put the rolls or pieces in a decorative glass jar, add a ribbon, and voila!
Comment on this blog post for a chance to win one of three sets of Young Living lime and lemon essential oils.
—Tara Rayburn, YL Distributor
As a licensed massage therapist, it was inspiring to witness the Vitassage™ story—beginning with its ideation and culminating with its convention launch. Many people and countless hours of sweat and tears were involved in diligently making sure that the Vitassage was worthy of the Young Living name. Although many of you attended the convention and experienced the Vitassage excitement, I would love to give a brief overview of this one-of-a-kind device.
When designing the Vitassage, Gary Young wanted to offer the benefits of Young Living essential oils and massage to both professional and casual users. To accomplish this we utilized three stainless-steel roller balls to simultaneously disperse up to three different oils onto the skin, while powerful vibrations assist the oil in penetrating deep into stressed tissue. Its versatility, one of my favorite benefits, allows for personal customization of the massage experience through the swapping out, and combining of, essential oils based on current needs. The Vitassage includes the massager device, six 2-ml oil bottles, and oil transferring pipettes.
Some of my personal favorite essential oil combinations include:
- Cypress, grapefruit, and hyssop—to improve mood
- Aroma Life™, helichrysum, and peppermint—to stimulate the senses
- Marjoram, wintergreen, and PanAway®—to soothe muscles following a long run or heavy workout
Whether your focus is to support emotional balance and clarity, rejuvenate and revitalize, or relax and calm, the Vitassage will help you meet your goal. As always, we remind you to follow each oil’s safety usage recommendations and to use the provided pipettes to transfer oil into the 2-ml bottles.
The Vitassage is another example of how Young Living continues to be the innovative leader in essential oils and oil application. It is perfect for all ages, massage and physical therapists, and chiropractors to use in conjunction with their practice. Its convenience and practical use in the office or home makes it fabulous for beginners, exercise enthusiasts, and athletes of all levels to bring instant support to the body. The Vitassage can also be used to enhance the Raindrop Technique®.
Have fun customizing your Vitassage, and please share your favorite oil combinations with us!
—Alyssa Baily, YL Associate Product Manager
Nearly two weeks ago, D. Gary Young announced the Slique™ Experience. Distributors are thrilled as they have begun their transformation journey and have been digesting the information and the challenge that were unveiled. The integral part of the Slique Experience is the Slique Kit, which was designed to revolutionize the way we approach weight management. For added benefit, Gary developed a new essential oil blend—Slique Essence—that enhances the slimming benefits of our other products.
So what is Slique Essence? While working in the Nova Vita Center in Ecuador, Gary witnessed the power of this blend in helping to control hunger and to assist individuals in achieving their individual weight goals.* Slique Essence combines the benefits of ocotea, grapefruit, tangerine, lemon, and spearmint essential oils with the sweetness of stevia extract.
Why These Oils?
- Ocotea possesses a pleasing, cinnamon-like scent that provides feelings of fullness.*
- Grapefruit has a refreshing and uplifting aroma and is thought to decrease food cravings. This oil also has fat-dissolving properties that may help overcome obesity.*
- Tangerine helps support digestion and may also help combat the effects of obesity.*
- The citrus-filled scents of lemon have been used to help overcome feelings of hunger and to support digestion.*
- Spearmint supports a healthy metabolism and adds a sense of balance and well-being.*
The many qualities of Slique Essence make it a much-needed tool for your weight-management regimen. Its desirable taste is the perfect addition to tea, water, Power Meal™, Balance Complete™, Pure Protein Complete™, or any beverage. Carry it with you wherever you go to conveniently battle unwanted cravings. With just a few drops of Slique Essence under your tongue, you can fight your “fast-food” times of weakness!
This proprietary oil blend is only available in the Start Living with Slique and Slique Essential Rewards kits. Click here for additional purchasing and program information, and don’t forget to leave your thoughts on the new Slique Essence essential oil blend!**
—Marco Colindres, Associate Product Manager
*This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease.
**Slique Essence was not intended for use in diffusers.
The question on everyone’s mind: “Who is the winner of the Slique® Tea giveaway?” Well the time has come to make the announcement. Drum roll please… Congratulations to Pam R., Pat P., and Jody R. They were the randomly chosen winners!
Now that the contest is wrapped up, we can talk about one of the best times of the year, Thanksgiving. Who doesn’t get excited about some of the most delicious food of the year, turkey, stuffing, and pumpkin pie? And don’t forget seconds! But with great food comes great regret. It seems like I always eat myself into a coma. Now I’ve been told on several occasions that the brain needs 15–20 minutes to tell the body that you are full and satisfied. Taking that into account, it’s 15–20 minutes of eating that probably shouldn’t have happened. For the three winners, Slique Tea is an obvious answer. Luckily for the rest of us, some of Young Living’s essential oils have beneficial properties we can fall back on.
Grapefruit essential oil—When diffused, grapefruit’s properties include refreshing, uplifting feelings and a triggered sense of fullness, which can help to curb the desire to gorge past a healthy capacity.
Spearmint essential oil—Spearmint oil has been used to assist digestion. Similar to grapefruit, spearmint has been known to curb appetite while adding feeling of balance and well-being.
DiGize™ essential oil blend—DiGize is blended with the highly favorable digestive aids peppermint, fennel, and patchouli oils that work collectively to help relieve digestive problems. This oil is best used to combat those moments where you may have overdone it at the dinner table.
The floor is yours! Share the favorite products you use below that will keep you healthy this holiday!
Marco Colindres III—YL Associate Product Marketing Manager
Sometimes, even in the midst of a mistake, discovering takes place. This was illustrated to me on a day when I decided to explore the properties and benefits of Young Living’s Awaken™ essential oil blend. After opening a bottle, I poured some oil into a 1-ml container. Unfortunately, an unsteady hand sent half of the bottle spilling out over the table. Thinking quickly, I applied the spilled oil to the back of my neck, hairline, wrist pulses, soles of my feet, and temples. By the end of the day, I looked back and noticed I had accomplished a lot more than usual, procrastinated far less, and in general could sustain work with greater ease allowing me to accomplish long-awaited projects.
The next day I applied Awaken, this time 1–2 drops on same areas, and applied Believe™ on my heart chakra and third eye. Believe is a beautiful blend of Idaho balsam fir, rosewood, and frankincense. As a blend, Believe helps release the unlimited potential we all possess. A few minutes after applying both essential oil blends, my prayer was simple: “I am a vessel of God’s light. May every action, every thought, every feeling, every belief, every moment be filled with the light of God and may all that I am and do today be of value to all of life.” This set the direction for my day and recognized the importance of hope and belief in the unlimited potential that lies within.
On the third day I applied Awaken and Believe and diffused Citrus Fresh™ to introduce a fresh and clean scent into my office. Citrus Fresh contains orange, tangerine, lemon, mandarin, grapefruit, and spearmint. While each has multiple properties, together they help with anxiety while stimulating the right side of the brain to amplify creativity. Between diffusing Citrus Fresh and applying Awaken and Believe, enlightenment becomes as simple as ABC to experience the amazing wonders of our creative potentials each day.
Enlightenment can occur every moment—and with the addition of precious essential oils we seem to be able to go far beyond what we thought was possible. The impossible now appears achievable with just a bit more effort! May your days be filled with wonder and as you apply one drop of nature’s gifts; allow the highest thoughts of gratitude to fill your soul and every cell of your being. Now spend the rest of the day rejoicing!
It is time for a summer challenge: Get in your car and drive down the street. I bet you won’t make it out of your neighborhood without seeing a child’s lemonade stand. Aren’t they the reason we keep a few extra quarters in our car? For a meager 50 cents you can buy an escape from summer’s squelching heat. If only it were that easy to soothe and protect our internal systems. Each day we are bombarded with free radicals, pesticides, and other external stresses. Nature’s plan for defending us against these forces comes in the form of antioxidants—and there are few antioxidants more powerful than d-limonene.
D-limonene was named after lemon because of the high concentrations of this constituent found in the rind. A powerful antioxidant, d-limonene is known to boost immune function and protect cells, and has traditionally been used for weight loss and to treat bronchitis.
High concentrations of d-limonene are found in the following Young Living citrus-derived products:
- Grapefruit essential oil—Fresh, citrus aroma known to energize and uplift when feeling stressed or unhappy. Creates the sense of fullness when used in conjunction with a healthy weight-management system.
- Lemon essential oil—Strong, citrus aroma that refreshes and stimulates the mind, improves memory, promotes a sense of well-being, and works as an insect repellant. It is also useful as a cleaning aid.
- Orange essential oil—Rich, fruity aroma that lifts the spirit while providing a calming influence. It also encourages positive emotions.
- Tangerine essential oil—Sweet, tangy aroma known to help with occasional nervous irritability and promote a sense of security.
My favorite usage tips:
- Add to food or rice as a dietary supplement.
- Add to soy milk or a smoothie as flavoring.
- Add to lemonade for variety and depth.
Let’s not let children hold the corner market on this summer treat. It is time for each of us to enjoy the benefits of having our own d-limonene stand. Isn’t our health worth more than 50 cents?
Please reply with your favorite YL citrus essential oil. Make sure to include your favorite way to use it.
—Ryan Seely, YL Product Marketing Manager
There is nothing like a refreshing beverage to cool off the hot days of summer. One of my favorite practices throughout the day is infusing drinks with Young Living essential oils. I like using the clean citrus essential oils. I always keep a supply and take these oils everywhere to place a drop or two in my drink. Inevitably, someone will notice and inquire. Since I drink water throughout the day, I have plenty of opportunities to share the oils. The message is spread from restaurants to exercise gyms; juice bars to salons. People are attracted to the fragrance and I share with them this easy health practice.
You can literally infuse all kinds of drinks with oils. Some of my favorites besides water are herbal teas, fresh extracted juices and smoothies. Next time you are on the run and feel like you have no time to tell others about Young Living, remember all you need is a few drops of your favorite essential oil. Live it and show by example every time you take a sip of your favorite beverage. It is that easy! Here are some of my favorites:
- Lemon essential oil
- Tangerine essential oil
- Grapefruit essential oil
- Orange essential oil
- Ginger essential oil
Until next post….Cinnamon Sticky Buns!