Whether you’re looking for new ideas to share Young Living or you’d like to get your friends together for your own girls’ night, hosting a Young Living make-and-take party is a great opportunity to meet new people, make some fun DIY projects, and show friends and neighbors that Young Living is more than just a drop of oil—that our products can easily and naturally complement any lifestyle.
From refreshments, to ways to encourage natural conversation about Young Living, to diffusion ideas, here’s your guide to hosting a fantastic make-and-take party!
STEP 1: Make a Plan
- Pick a theme. Maybe go with a “Pamper Me” theme with bath salts, hand scrub, and foot lotion made with Lavender or Ylang Ylang essential oil. Or perhaps a “Daily Dose” theme with an invigorating morning Melaleuca Alternifolia face lotion, a fresh 2:30 p.m. roll-on with Frankincense essential oil, and a serene nighttime room spray with Lavender essential oil.
- Decide which refreshments you’d like to serve. Keep your finger food simple and light. Try a fruit or vegetable tray with dip, or try crackers and cheese. You can even include Young Living essential oils in your refreshment spread. Try lemonade made with citrus essential oils, hot chocolate with Cinnamon Bark or Orange essential oils, or a vegetable dip with Dill essential oil. Our Healthy Cooking, Volume 2 recipe book has some great ideas you could try.
- Make a shopping list of the DIY project ingredients, project containers, decorations, bowls and utensils for assembling, and refreshments.
- Decide what amount you feel is appropriate to charge your attendees for each DIY project. You can use PayPal or Venmo or ask people to bring cash to the party.
STEP 2: Get the Word Out
- Decide how many people you are comfortable hosting, and then over-invite. Remember, people get busy and not everyone you invite will be able to make it.
- 2–3 weeks prior to your party, send out invitations. You can create a Facebook event or send any combination of emails, texts, and printed invitations.
- Closer to the date, send reminders and get a final count on RSVPs.
STEP 3: Pre-Party Setup
- Print handouts of the ingredients and instructions for your DIY projects.
- Have Young Living resources placed around your home, so people can browse during any downtime. We recommend the 2015 Product Guide and any resources you have on essential oils and their uses.
- Set up different stations for each DIY project to avoid overcrowding in one area. Organize tables with all the containers, ingredients, and measuring utensils laid out in order of assembly. Tip: Use white plastic tablecloths and write instructions by each step with a black permanent marker.
- Set out your refreshments.
- Set the mood and diffuse oils that will add to the feel of the party. For an uplifting vibe we recommend Joy or Bergamot. Play music that will complement your event.
- Prepare to say “thank you” to guests as they leave with a small take-home bag. You could include your business card with an essential oil sample, information about how to become a member, and a homemade treat made with essential oils. Set the bags out in a basket by your front door.
- Once guests have arrived, start the night by having everyone introduce themselves.
- Explain what you’ll be making, how to use the projects, and their benefits. Then start assembling the goodies!
- Ensure everyone leaves with a take-home package.
Step 5: Post Party
- For those interested, follow up with a class introducing Young Living products.
Stay tuned for an upcoming post for ideas to host a holiday gift make-and-take party!
Special thanks to Young Living member Nance Ciasca for her party expertise and tips.
Do you have any other tips for a smooth-sailing party? We’d love to hear them in the comments!
Dr. Lindsey Elmore recently joined the Young Living team as our new director of Global Education and Health Sciences. Her knowledge and passion as a chemist, pharmacist, board-certified pharmacotherapy specialist, and natural wellness expert have prepared her well for this pivotal role at Young Living.
We sat down with Dr. Elmore and talked about her first experiences with essential oils, why this is her dream job, her exciting new direction for the department, and her favorite Young Living products.
Why did you decide to join Young Living?
This is my dream job! I’m so grateful for this opportunity, and I’ve already learned so much. I kept seeing friends post on Facebook about how these essential oils had changed their lives, so I bought Geranium and Roman Chamomile from a Young Living member I knew. I enrolled last December, bought my first kit, and poured the oils all over myself while sitting on my living room floor! I realized immediately that Young Living products were special, and I really appreciated and respected that. I immersed myself in learning about essential oils and then began teaching others about them.
When this position opened up, I called Jared Turner about it and was on a plane to Young Living’s global headquarters just days later. I spoke with Gary, Mary, and other executives and became really excited to join. I was a Transitions of Care Clinical Pharmacist with the St. Vincent’s Health System and previously an Assistant Professor of Pharmacy Practice at Samford University, and I gave notice the next day!
I am so grateful to Gary and Mary for this opportunity to serve all of our members, and I’ve already learned so much. The day after I joined the global HQ team, I had a one-on-one session with Gary learning the lavender distillation process. Gary knows more about essential oils than anyone else in the world, and I’m so thrilled to be a part of his company!
One of our group’s major focuses will be to offer education for every member, regardless of where they’re at in their Young Living journey. Members will receive more diversified training with a special focus on online resources. Also, our events will dig deep into the science of oils, business and team building, the compensation plan, and more.
Our education is going to get very deep and diverse, as you can see. Our global presence will also grow, and we’re planning a robust international training schedule for the coming months. To improve the quality of our events and increase the number that we can do, we’re in the process of building out our team with more event planners and trainers.
As an additional part of my role, I will also be overseeing professional accounts and will be taking the helm on professional research collaborations and helping to secure data-generating collaborations.
You’re also the new chair of the Scientific Advisory Council. What’s planned for this important group?
Our SAC is incredible. We have very talented people with diverse backgrounds—from physicians to cell biologists. I’m planning to leverage this panel of astonishingly talented people much more than has been done previously. They’ll speak at more corporate events, host webinars, co-author papers, and use their connections for more research. They’ll help me ensure that our educational materials are exactly what our members need. I’m also excited to launch the Veterinary Advisory Council in the near future, which will do similar work to the SAC but with a focus on pets instead of people. Look for more information on that council soon!
What do you see as the greatest challenges and opportunities in your new role?
As our members know, our biggest challenge as a company right now is sourcing; and Young Living staff members are spending most of our time and energy ensuring that we continue to get the highest quality oils into our members’ hands as quickly as possible. My role in this is to educate people about alternative products while their favorite products are temporarily unavailable. I’m also going to focus more time on educating people about our phenomenal supplements and the total wellness that Young Living offers.
Clearly, there’s a huge and growing need for member education. Whether they’re brand new or an expert on oils, I want to support our entire membership spectrum. My team will be empowered to do that, and I trust them to provide fantastic education to our members. You’ll be hearing a lot more from them—and from me—in the very near future!
Finally, what’s your favorite Young Living product?
Are you familiar with Blue Cypress essential oil? Surprisingly, many of our members are not yet acquainted with this amazingly versatile oil. Let me introduce you!
Sometimes referred to as Blue Gold, Blue Cypress is a beautiful, cobalt blue and is the only naturally blue essential oil that comes from a tree. Other blue essential oils such as German Chamomile and Blue Tansy are from flowers. So distinctive and beloved is this tree’s aroma that it was chosen as the official fragrance of the Sydney 2000 Olympics.
Young Living’s Blue Cypress essential oil is steam distilled from the leaves and wood of the rare Northern Cypress Pine, native only to Australia’s Northern Territory. The scientific name of Blue Cypress, Callitris intratropica, is derived from the Greek calli (beautiful) and treis (three), which references the tree’s triangular leaves that are arranged in spirals of three.
Blue Cypress has been used for thousands of years by Australian aboriginal people in a variety of household and personal applications. Here are a few ways you can use Blue Cypress:
Support muscles. Blue Cypress is great to use post-workout. Just add a few drops to V-6™ Vegetable Oil Complex, Ortho Ease® Massage Oil, or Ortho Sport® Massage Oil and rub it on muscles after physical workouts.
Moisturize skin. Blue Cypress has excellent beneficial properties for the skin. Use Blue Cypress alone or blend it with Sacred Frankincense, Lavender, and Royal Hawaiian™ Sandalwood essential oils and apply topically to hydrate the skin after time outside.
Soothe skin while shaving. Add a drop or two of Blue Cypress to shaving cream, soap, or aftershave to help prevent razor burn.
Use in household cleaning. Add Blue Cypress to Thieves® Household Cleaner for extra cleaning power or include it in a custom blend of Lemon and Clove essential oils mixed in water to create your own all-purpose cleaner for kitchens, bathrooms, desktops, and other surfaces.
In addition to these simple and effective uses, how do you use Blue Cypress essential oil?
—Heidi Jeanfreau, Young Living International and Portfolio Brand Manager
This year’s Convention Lifestyle Expo included a NingXia Red® bar called “Club Red,” where we offered customized shots of NingXia Red, NingXia Nitro™, and Young Living essential oils. The exhilarating atmosphere left an impression on everyone! For those of you who weren’t able to attend, here are some of this year’s most requested NingXia Red shots from our Club Red “bartenders.”
“Cimply” Smooth—Ryan Seely, Young Living Associate Product Marketing Manager
My most popular shot was called “Cimply Smooth” (pronounced “simply smooth,” a play on the citrusy contents). I love the flavor of Lime essential oil, and it pairs so nicely with Tangerine to elevate the already delicious NingXia Red flavor. When combined with Frankincense, these pure essential oils awaken the mind!
1 oz. NingXia Red
2 drops Tangerine essential oil
2 drops Lime essential oil
Dreamsicle—P. J. Carver, Young Living Senior Global Inventory Planner
What better way to Live Your Dream (our Convention theme) than with the Dreamsicle! The smooth and delicious citrus taste was not only great on the palate, but it was refreshing for those who had been at the Convention all day. People were lined up to experience this shot, and who can blame them?
1 oz. NingXia Red
1 drop Sacred Frankincense essential oil
1 drop Orange essential oil
1 drop Lime essential oil
1 drop Tangerine essential oil
1 drop Copaiba essential oil
1 drop Citrus Fresh essential oil
1 drop Lemon essential oil
Atomic Fireball—Aslyn Burkholder, Young Living Outbound Projects Liaison
This year my shot was called was the Atomic Fireball. I chose this combination because Cinnamon Bark is one of my favorite essential oils and gives the NingXia Red an extra zing. Plus, we all need a little cinnamon to spice up our life!
1 oz. NingXia Red
2 drops Cinnamon Bark essential oil
1 drop Ocotea essential oil
Mind Blaster—Lisa Morris, Young Living Help Desk Technician
Two years running, the Mind Blaster has been a crowd favorite. The citrus oils uplift, while the Frankincense gives a smooth prelude to the spice of cinnamon bark. It’s sure to blast your mind!
1 oz. NingXia Red
1 drop Lime essential oil
1 drop Peppermint essential oil
1 drop Citrus Fresh essential oil
1 drop Frankincense essential oil
1 drop Cinnamon Bark essential oil (on top)
Hot Flash—Robert Donakey, Young Living Sales Support Tier 2
My signature shot is called Hot Flash! It’s inspired by products I use after playing basketball. I like the mixture of spicy cinnamon and refreshing peppermint.
1 oz. NingXia Red
2 drops Cinnamon Bark essential oil
2 drops Peppermint essential oil
The combinations and benefits of Ningxia Red and essential oils are nearly endless! Comment below and share with us your favorite Ningxia Red “shot.”
—Blair Lloyd, Young Living International and Portfolio Brand Associate
Fascination with beauty and the search for the Fountain of Youth is as old as time. Women everywhere, of all ages, seek solutions to complexion discoloration, whether it’s brought on by the natural process of aging, sun exposure, or other causes. Research suggests that uneven and dull skin tone contribute even more to the appearance of aging than wrinkles!
At Young Living’s 2014 International Grand Convention, we introduced the latest addition to our A·R·T®—Age Refining Technology—line: Sheerlumé™ Brightening Cream!
Sheerlumé contains a proprietary blend of Sacred Frankincense™, Royal Hawaiian Sandalwood, Clove, and other powerful essential oils, as well as third-party tested alpine plant extracts that protect the skin from external stressors that advance the appearance of aging. Use Sheerlumé daily to unveil a more radiant, flawless-looking complexion.
—Gloria Russo, Young Living International and Portfolio Brand Associate
Because of the passion and dedication of our members, we have been able to spend the last 20 years sharing the precious gift of essential oils with the world. As our way of thanking you, for a short time each month this year, you can take advantage of a 20-percent discount on one of D. Gary and Mary Young’s favorite products. This month discover what our inspiring Highest Potential™ blend can do for you. For Tuesday and Wednesday only, you can enjoy an $8.22 savings on a 5-ml bottle of this unique blend.*
Featuring an aromatic combination of Ylang Ylang, Frankincense, Sandalwood, Lavender, Rose, and other precious essential oils, this blend is formulated to inspire you to expand your sense of purpose and achieve your full potential. Whether diffused, inhaled, or diluted and worn as a fragrance, Highest Potential can help you discover greater confidence, a more complete idea of your purpose, and a sense of harmony. Log in to Virtual Office on May 20 and 21 to enjoy this exclusive discount while it’s available!
Each month be sure to watch our Facebook page to find out what classic Young Living product will be featured in this 20th anniversary promotion! Remember: Each month during 2014 you can save 20 percent on some of our most popular products! What products are you hoping to see in this year-long anniversary promotion?
*Please note that the discount will reduce your PV for this item by 20 percent. If this reduction in PV will affect your commissions, please adjust your order accordingly. The discount also applies to Essential Rewards orders; however, orders using rewards points do not qualify for the discount. This discount applies to Young Living members and retail customers, and there is a limit of two bottles of Highest Potential per order.
Are you looking for a great way to say thank you to someone special on Mother’s Day? We want to help you give unique, transformative gifts with a special promotion! From May 1–3, receive a 15-percent discount on 15-ml bottles of Progessence™ Plus Serum. The 15-percent discount applies to both wholesale and retail prices and may be used with Essential Rewards orders, as well as standard orders.
Progessence Plus Serum is formulated specifically for women. Featuring popular essential oils such as Peppermint, Copaiba, and Frankincense, as well as wild yam extract and vitamin E, this harmonizing serum is sure to become a vitality-boosting must-have for the moms in your life.
Relax. It’s good for you; you deserve it; and it takes less time than you think! The key to managing daily stress is to learn healthy coping strategies. In this, the second part of my Relieving Stress series, I’ll share more ideas for quick, simple ways to relax your mind and body.
Taking a minute to organize and straighten your home or work environment will do a world of good to remove mentally distracting clutter. A simple and organized space will allow you to focus more fully on the task at hand.
Take a Short Walk
If you need a break during work, take a short walk outside. Breathing fresh air and enjoying some sunshine will get your circulation flowing and refresh and stretch your muscles.
If you’re like me, free time is an extravagance that you don’t enjoy frequently. However, just three minutes of meditation can calm your mind and help create a more peaceful and manageable day. To take your meditation to the next level, diffuse or apply a few drops of the following essential oils topically to your temples, the nape of your neck, your heart, or the soles of your feet while meditating:
- Hong Kuai, Hinoki, Frankincense, Sacred Frankincense™, Idaho Balsam Fir, Juniper, or Pine can help increase spiritual awareness.
- Ylang Ylang helps control negative feelings.
- Inspiration™ enhances spirituality and meditation.
- Jasmine boosts self-confidence and promotes a positive outlook.
- Palo Santo helps ward off negative emotions.
- Myrtle promotes uplifting emotions.
- Lemon Myrtle clears the mind.
- Humility™ promotes deeper spiritual and emotional awareness.
- Awaken™ heightens awareness of your limitless potential.
- Present Time™ sharpens your focus on the here and now.
- Believe™ encourages feelings of strength and faith.
- Abundance™ attracts prosperity and magnifies joy and peace.
- Release™ facilitates the release of anger and frustration and promotes harmony and balance.
- Transformation™ empowers you to replace negative beliefs with uplifting thoughts.
Leave a comment and let me know some of your methods for reducing stress in your day!
—Heidi Jeanfreau, YL International and Portfolio Brand Manager
Mention the word “frankincense” to anyone, and their first thoughts will be of the holiday season. We want to help you welcome the spirit of the season into your home and establish a treasured new tradition with a frankincense essential oil two-pack, plus other fantastic business-building rewards!
Hit 300 PV in a single order during November and we’ll give you free 5-ml Frankincense and 5-ml Sacred Frankincense essential oils—perfect for establishing a spiritually uplifted environment in your home—plus a $20 enrollment coupon and 50 Drive to Win points! Order 250 PV to earn the essential oils and the enrollment coupon; order 190 PV and earn the essential oils.
Learn more about the fantastic rewards you can earn in our November promotion:
Frankincense essential oil can become your next cherished family tradition. Its woodsy, sweet aroma can help create an environment of positivity and deepen meditation. Applied topically, it can promote a glowing, youthful-looking complexion.
With a slightly sweeter, more complex aroma than Frankincense essential oil, Sacred Frankincense is a rare essential oil distilled from the Boswellia sacra tree. Try applying Sacred Frankincense to temples, wrists, and neck during yoga, meditation, or prayer for a spiritually uplifting boost.
Our transferrable $20 enrollment coupon is an ideal tool for sharing Young Living and bringing new energy to your organization. You can find the coupon code on your qualifying 250 or 300 PV order invoice, which you may then give to an enrolling distributor.
A first-of-its-kind promotion, Drive to Win allows you to earn points toward winning fantastic prizes for your sharing efforts! You must earn a minimum of 1,000 points during the promotion period to qualify to win. This reward will get you 50 points closer to a new Mercedes-Benz C-Class, $10,000 or $5,000 cash, or an unforgettable trip to Hawaii! Click here to find all the details about this promotion.
During the hot summer months, the best way to protect your skin from sunburn is by applying sunscreen. (See our recent do-it-yourself blog post on how to create your own natural sunscreen with essential oils.) Sometimes, however, sunburns happen. Young Living offers many products to help relieve sunburn*, including LavaDerm™ Cooling Mist.
LavaDerm’s pure and carefully chosen ingredients—aloe, lavender, spikenard, and trace minerals—work in concert to reduce the uncomfortable symptoms of a sunburn. By having LavaDerm readily available, you can just point and spray to get sunburn relief* as quickly as possible.
You can also try using one of the following Young Living essential oils and do-it-yourself recipes for sunburn relief:
- 1 cup of white or apple cider vinegar
- Ice cubes
- Young Living Lavender essential oil
- Young Living Lavender Hand & Body Lotion
- Fill a sink or bath with cool water.
- Add ice cubes to the water if you are able to tolerate the temperature.
- Add 1 cup of white or apple cider vinegar.
- Immerse yourself for at least 10 minutes.
- Gently pat your skin dry.
- Apply undiluted Lavender essential over the burned area.
- Once the oil is absorbed in the skin, apply Young Living’s Lavender Hand & Body Lotion .
- Don’t apply too much Lavender essential oil. Simply cover the burned area.
- Do not bathe with bubbles or use soap. This can dry out and irritate the skin.
- Avoid actions that will worsen your symptoms, such as rubbing your skin dry with a towel.
Sunburn Relief for Children
Although parents typically protect their children from sunburns, many children do suffer from heat rash.
You can prevent heat rash by keeping your child’s skin dry and cool. It is also helpful to dress children in light clothing made from breathable fabric. When possible, expose your child’s skin to air. If you are unable to prevent heat rash, here is a do-it-yourself relief recipe for all ages:
Heat Rash Relief
- ¼ cup baking soda
- 2 drops Lavender essential oil
Children Ages 3–7
- ½ cup baking soda
- 2 drops Lavender essential oil
Children Ages 8–10
- ½ cup baking soda
- 4 drops Lavender essential oil
Children Ages 11–18
- 1 cup baking soda
- 4 drops Lavender essential oil
- Mix Lavender essential oil and baking soda together.
- Add mixture to a warm bath.
- If bathing a baby, make sure that the water reaches the folds of the skin.
- Once out of the bath, dry skin thoroughly and take care that your child’s folds of skin are kept dry.
Here are some practical tips on how to soothe the effects of specific types of sunburns with essential oils:
|Sunburned Eyelids||Apply tea bags soaked in cool water to help reduce swelling and soreness*.|
|Soreness||Chill Young Living Lavender Hand & Body Lotion in the refrigerator. It will counteract swelling and keep skin properly hydrated*.|
|Dryness and Peeling of Skin||Drink water and eat foods with high water content. A large watermelon wedge provides 9+ ounces of water, 1 cup of honeydew melon provides 5.4 ounces, and 1 cup of cantaloupe or beets provide 5.1 ounces.|
|Seek Medical Attention||Take care if you experience nausea, chills, fever, faintness, extensive blistering, general weakness, patches of purple discoloration, or intense itching when sunburned.|
Finally, here are a few more sensible tips for you to think about:
- UV rays penetrate windows. Use care when sitting in direct sunlight for extended periods of time, especially with a baby.
- If your legs and feet are swollen, elevate them above your heart.
- If soreness is preventing a good night’s sleep, try sleeping on an air mattress.
- Take extra sun precautions when the sun is at its strongest (from 10 a.m.–3 p.m. or 11 a.m.–4 p.m. for those states participating in Daylight Savings Time).
We hope these recipes and tips help you safely navigate through the summer months. As always, we invite you to share your ideas or recipes in the comments.
—Gloria Russo, YL Product Marketing Manager
Congratulations to our Thieves® AromaBright Toothpaste winners! Here are the names of the lucky winners selected from comments on a previous blog post:
Each of these people will receive a free tube of Thieves AromaBright Toothpaste! Keep reading our blog for more giveaways in the future.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.