Young Living products always make great gifts. To add an extra personal touch, try our newest DIY: Hand-carved Young Living soaps. These soaps are a thoughtful and creative way to share Young Living and make great gifts for friends and neighbors!
- Any Young Living bar soap
- Cuticle pusher, nail file, or other small carving tool
- 3 pins
1. Choose your soap and design.
Lemon Sandalwood Cleansing Soap™ and Thieves® Cleansing Soap are my favorites, so I made a gift out of each: one for my neighbor and one for me! For the designs, I made a “T” (for my neighbor’s last name) and the Young Living logo. I measured the soaps (the top face is approximately 3 inches by 1 5/8 inches) and created a simple design on paper to fit. Here are some templates you can use to get started:
To use a template, copy and paste the image into your preferred word-processing program. Make sure the outside square has the right dimensions (3 inches by 1 5/8 inches) and print.
Use two pins to hold your design in place, inserting the pins into an area you plan to carve out later. Use the third pin to prick through the paper around the border of your design, creating an outline. If the design outline doesn’t seem clear enough after the paper is removed, feel free to go over it with a pen or pencil. You can remove the marks when you’re done carving.
3. Carve your design.
Don’t worry about buying any special tools. I used items I had around the house to carve my designs: a cuticle pusher and a nail file. When you’re done carving, remove any pen or pencil marks with a cotton swab dampened in hot water. You can also use this method to help smooth out the carving lines.
When you’re cleaning up, don’t throw away the soap shavings. I put the leftovers of each soap in their own organza bag, and then used them as loofas in the shower. They created a great velvety lather, and I was grateful I didn’t waste any of the soap!
I added a simple ribbon to the box for embellishment, and then presented the “T”-carved soap to my neighbor, who loved it!
If you have ideas for exciting designs or any suggestions on how to best use the soap shavings, please give us your thoughts in the comments. Enjoy your personalized bar soaps!
Gloria Russo—International and Portfolio Brand Manager, Personal Care
Young Living Founder and CEO D. Gary Young has dedicated his life and countless personal sacrifices to creating essential oils that surpass every quality standard. His motivation? The belief that pure essential oils have the power to touch and change lives. Young Living Chief Sales and Marketing Officer Jared Turner shares his thoughts below on what sets Gary and his approach apart:
Gary Young is currently building a new Young Living farm up in cold British Columbia, Canada. As I think about this great personal sacrifice, I’ve been considering all the things people say about him, both good and bad. Some call him “crazy.” Others call him the “maverick” or “guru” of the modern essential oil movement. As with most leaders of movements that change the world, Gary Young seems to elicit a variety of opinions.
One title I love that describes the spirit of what D. Gary Young represents is that of “shokunin.” A traditional Japanese title, “shokunin” (or “craftsman”) could well encapsulate all the best of Gary. Shokunin are individuals who care deeply about their craft; however, even this literal description doesn’t fully express the full meaning of the word. Shokunin care passionately, even spiritually, about their work—to the point of utmost personal sacrifice. They don’t care for money; they care only to improve the world through the perfection of their craft. In this way, the world is better because of them. They see what they do as an art form that must be perfected every day, faithfully. They never rest and are rarely tired because they are doing what they were meant to do: living their purpose through their work.
Japanese artist Tasio Odate elaborates further:
“The shokunin has a social obligation to work his best for the general welfare of the people. This obligation is both spiritual and material, in that no matter what it is, the shokunin’s responsibility is to fulfill the requirement.”
Gary Young is the true craftsman of the art of the cultivation, distillation, and quality testing of essential oils. He is comparable to none. He excels at his craft not only because he’s done if for decades but also because it is as natural to him as flying is to an eagle or swimming is to a fish. It is what he is meant to do.
Recent demonstrations of his shokunin spirit include the personal physical sacrifices he is experiencing in Canada. Gary recently told us that he is never warm. The only time he’s able to “thaw out” is a couple of hours after he tucks in his bed late at night after a long, arduous day at the farm. And it’s not just the brutal cold: he has cuts and bruises all over his body as a result of his drive to beat the deep winter clock and get people the oils they love.
I tell you this only to show you what we have in D. Gary Young; his dedication to his craft is immeasurably valuable to all of us. Remember: he loves what he’s doing and is meant to do it.
As recipients of this shokunin gift, it’s incumbent upon us to tell the story, to connect others to the Young Living “why” and continue the revolution in wellness that Gary Young started decades ago. We strive to help you tell this story through our emphasis on Young Living’s Seed to Seal® promise, as evidenced in our farm-centric events, the ongoing rebrand, and our marketing materials (check out SeedtoSeal.com).
Our detractors, including competitors, are attacking on all sides. They know that they are shadows of what we are and what we stand for—and they don’t like it. They know that they can’t compete with our original, authentic and rich narrative, so they attack the source of that narrative: Gary Young. We continue to tell our story despite this, and will defend our virtue as the originator and leader of the essential oil movement. Gary Young created a culture and ethos of wellness and empowerment that has lasted for decades—and it will last for decades more.
The bottom line is that whatever our competitors want to call Gary, they can’t call him a copycat. They can’t call him an imitator. At a minimum they can hopefully acknowledge that he’s the real deal and has taught them everything they know about essential oils. Maybe instead of attacking, it’s time that they give credit where credit is due. But guess what? Gary won’t be listening to any apologies; he’s too busy working in Canada to make the world a better place, one drop at a time.
And in case you still want to call Gary Young “crazy,” well, that may not be so bad either. Just ask Steve Jobs, the founder of Apple:
“Here’s to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes…the ones who see things differently—they’re not fond of rules…You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify, or vilify them, but the only thing you can’t do is ignore them because they change things…they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world are the ones who do.”
We are grateful for the pioneering vision and tireless dedication of our founder. How has Gary’s work touched your life? Let us know in the comments!
As the holiday season quickly approaches, many of us are already decking the halls and planning our celebratory meals. Traditional dishes bring fond memories of past holidays—along with excess calories and refined sugars. Today we want to share a few variations of classic recipes that incorporate Young Living products and provide an extra boost of nutrition!
Agave Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Blue Agave
- 4 drops Cinnamon Bark essential oil
- 1 drop Black Pepper essential oil
- Fine sea salt (to taste)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. In a medium bowl, mix Blue Agave, olive oil, Cinnamon Bark essential oil, Black Pepper essential oil, and salt to create a glaze. Add the sweet potatoes to the glaze and stir until evenly coated. Arrange the sweet potatoes onto a large rimmed baking sheet. Place the baking sheet into the preheated oven and roast for approximately 25–30 minutes, turning the sweet potatoes halfway through.
Garlic and Thyme Creamy Mash
- 1 ½ lbs. cauliflower florets
- ¼ cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- 3 roasted garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon fresh chives, chopped
- ½ scoop Power Meal
- 2 drops Thyme essential oil
- 1–2 drops Black Pepper essential oil (to taste)
- Fine sea salt (to taste)
Steam the cauliflower for approximately 6–8 minutes, until the florets are tender when pierced with a fork. Drain the steamed cauliflower and transfer to food processor. Combine remaining ingredients and process to your desired texture.
We love new, innovative recipes! Comment below and share with us the ways you are incorporating Young Living products into your holiday meals.
—Blair Lloyd, Young Living International and Portfolio Brand Associate
If you’ve loved checking out all our new online Product Guide has to offer, just wait until you see it in print! Shareable, comprehensive, and with a new look you’ll love, the print edition is a sharing and education must-have. Order your copies beginning December 1 to experience:
- New sharing tools: The Product Guide comes with six handy and shareable tear-away sheets. One side gives an at-a-glance look at the benefits of joining Young Living, while the other gives step-by-step instructions on how to enroll! Sharing just got a whole lot easier.
- A look at our beautiful new brand: Get a sneak peak at our fantastic new look.
- Information about the new Everyday Oils™ collection and Starter Kits: The new Everyday Oils collection will include Stress Away™ and Melaleuca Alternifolia in place of Valor® and Peace & Calming™. Because Stress Away will appear in the Everyday Oils kit, Citrus Fresh™ will replace it in our Starter Kits. This change is designed to allow our members greater access to Valor and Peace & Calming, two of our most popular blends!
- Helpful new product categories: Check out products in Essential Oils, Diffusers, Personal Care, Healthy & Fit, and At Home—five updated categories that fit your lifestyle! They will replace the former categories: Balance, Beauty, Wellness, and Home.
- Alternate products: Because our production process is so deeply tied to the cycles of nature, some products may become unavailable at times during the year. When this happens, our alternate product suggestions will help you find new favorites!
Order the new Product Guide beginning December 1 or check it out online at YoungLiving.com! What new feature are you most excited about? Let us know in the comments!
Love the Everyday Oils™ collection? You’re in good company! Packed with some of the most practical essential oils and blends we offer, Everyday Oils has always been a top pick. But get ready: Beginning in just a couple of days, it’s getting even better, and we couldn’t be more excited to share these changes with you!
We’re updating this kit on November 17 with two new products and a gorgeous new look. Two Everyday Oils products—Valor® and Peace & Calming®—will be replaced by two new additions: Stress Away™ and Melaleuca Alternifolia. This will create more availability for top-selling Valor and Peace & Calming, while allowing more people to discover the great new additions.
Never used Stress Away or Melaleuca Alternifolia? There’s lots to love with these versatile oils:
- With a great balance of Lime essential oil, Vanilla absolute, and more, Stress Away is a sweet replacement for Peace & Calming, as it has similar properties and benefits.
- Melaleuca Alternifolia is highly regarded for its wide range of daily uses and benefits to the skin. It’s the perfect addition to any beauty regimen!
This change will also affect Premium Starter Kits that include the Everyday Oils collection, as well as the Starter Kit pack, which will now include Citrus Fresh™ instead of Stress Away. What won’t this change affect? Pricing and value. You’ll still receive 10 equally valued, must-have essential oils, without a price increase!
Remember, this kit is available beginning the 17th. If you want to order the classic version, be sure to place your order through the 16th. In the event you receive the wrong collection, don’t worry—we’ve got you covered! Simply contact Member Services and request an exchange; we’ll be happy to help.
Have you tried Stress Away or Melaleuca Alternifolia? What are your favorite uses? Let us know in the comments!
As we wrap up our 20th year of groundbreaking success, Young Living, the World Leader in Essential Oils®, is celebrating with a limited commemorative edition of one of our most popular products, NingXia Red®! Here’s a closer look at the amazing NingXia Red Chrome Collection.
The highlight of this collection is a special bottle of NingXia Red (750 ml). Through a unique process, this collectible glass bottle has a sleek, chrome-like finish. It’s perfect for displaying in your home or at Young Living meetings, even after you finish the delicious, essential oil-infused NingXia Red inside.
This versatile carrying case not only protects NingXia Red, essential oils, and shot glasses on the go, but it also makes an excellent display case for your exclusive chrome bottle. With a plush interior, 20th anniversary commemorative plaque, and custom Seed to Seal® zipper, this classic piece will last for years to come.
Red Shot Essential Oil Blend
Formulated by D. Gary Young, Red Shot is exclusive to the Chrome Collection. The exotic taste of Tangerine, paired with the mild sweetness of Cassia essential oil, provide the perfect complement to the berry top notes of NingXia Red. This blend is exclusive to the NingXia Red Chrome Collection, so don’t miss your opportunity to try it with your NingXia Red.
We’ve also included a 15-ml bottle of Peppermint essential oil with a limited edition chrome label. Use it to add a refreshing twist to your daily serving of NingXia Red or to liven up a glass of water.
Both functional and decorative, these two NingXia Red shot glasses are the perfect way to drink your daily serving of NingXia Red.
Not only does this collection commemorate one of our flagship products and 20 years of pioneering the industry, but it also delivers excellent value. A single, standard glass bottle of NingXia Red, the Red Shot blend, and Peppermint essential oil would cost more wholesale than this entire collection. With the carrying case and shot glasses included, this limited-supply collection is valued at over $100 but is available for only $67.75 wholesale!
As part of our 20th anniversary celebration, we are giving away 10 NingXia Red Chrome Collections! All you have to do is share this post on social media and leave a comment on the blog telling us why you would love to win this collection. Winners will be posted here on Wednesday, November 19. Good luck!
Congratulations to our NingXia Red Chrome Collection winners!
- Teresa C.
- Cynthia F.
- Karen K.M.
- Tansey H.L.
- Trisha S.
- Carmen T.
- Natalia M.
- Alexandra K.D.
- Erin K.
- Andrea T.
Winners will be contacted by email. Thanks to everyone who entered!
—Blair Lloyd, Young Living International and Portfolio Brand Associate
Have you ever had a question about the best, safest way to use an essential oil? You’re not alone! Young Living Founder and CEO D. Gary Young has heard member questions; and following the 2014 International Grand Convention, he began working on a comprehensive, easy-to-understand guide for using essential oils correctly.
Teaming up with Young Living Director of Global Education and Health Sciences Dr. Lindsey Elmore and other product experts on the Young Living team, Gary has created a helpful guide that will ensure you are getting the most out of your essential oils! This helpful guide will provide questions to answers like “What is a carrier oil and why should I use it?” and “What if I experience skin discomfort or irritation?” and many others. This guide is an excellent tool for member education and can also help when sharing essential oils effectively!
Check the guide out now on YoungLiving.com!
During the holiday season, we often gather around the table to celebrate meaningful events, strengthen relationships, and make wonderful memories. Unfortunately, some of our favorite holiday foods can also cause bad breath at times when we want it the least! The most common culprits are:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Protein-dense foods like dairy, meat, and nuts
- Acidic foods like chocolate, butter, coffee, and soda pop
These types of food activate smelly sulfur compounds as they are digested. Bad breath can also have other partners in crime, like food particles trapped in the mouth that promote bacterial growth. Not what we want during the season of hugs and family time!
Here are a few simple tricks you can use to prevent bad breath from souring the mood at your holiday festivities:
- Drink water to rinse your mouth and keep it hydrated, especially after finishing a heavy meal or beverage.
- Choose fresh vegetables like celery stalks and carrot sticks over sweet potatoes drenched in brown sugar and marshmallows. If you just can’t pass up your favorite sweet treat, limit portion size.
- If fresh vegetables are nowhere to be found, chewing on garnishes like parsley or mint sprigs can help in a pinch!
For a last-minute, fail-safe solution to unpleasant breath, try our new Thieves® Mints. Popping in a mint will give your mouth a refreshing, minty taste and scent. Because these mints are infused with Thieves essential oil blend and are made from pure, sugar-free ingredients, you aren’t just getting fresh breath—you are doing your whole body a favor!
May your holiday season be happy, healthy, and refreshing!
—Gloria Russo, International and Portfolio Brand Manager—Personal Care
Thinking about making homemade holiday gifts using essential oils? Invite your friends over for a make-and-take party! At a recent Monthly Education Seminar, Young Living member and party-hosting expert Nance Ciasca not only taught us how to have a successful make-and-take party but also gave us ideas on a “Holiday Gifts” party theme.
Find simple instructions below to make three memorable holiday gifts—Winter Smooth Hand Scrub to comfort skin exposed to harsh elements, Winter Fresh Spray to freshen any indoor environment, and invigorating “The Day After” Bath Salts to use after a big day of rich foods, family, and fun!
- In a Ziploc bag, combine:
1/2 C white sugar
1/2 C brown sugar
1 tsp. V-6 Oil
1/3 C olive oil
10 drops Lavender essential oil or other topical essential oil of your choice
2. Seal bag and knead to mix ingredients.
3. Pour contents into an 8 oz. mason jar.
Winter Fresh Spray
- Unscrew the lid of a clean, empty 2 oz. spray bottle.
- Using a funnel, fill with distilled water up to one finger’s width from the top.
- Add 10 drops Evergreen Essence™ essential oil blend
- Top off with witch hazel and shake well.
- Spray in indoor spaces or onto linens and carpets to add a fresh, aromatic boost.
“The Day After” Bath Salts
- To a 4 oz. jar with cork lid, add
1/4 C Epsom salt
1/4 C Kosher salt
10 drops Eucalyptus Globulus essential oil
10 drops Juniper essential oil
2. Secure the cork top and shake well.
3. Add as desired to a hot bath.
Give your gifts some pizazz by decorating with string, tags, and ribbon. Place the three gifts in a clear confectionery bag and tie off with ribbon and give to neighbors, teachers, friends, family—or yourself!
Organize a hands-on “Holiday Gifts” make-and-take party with these DIYs using our party-planning tips; and tie in the season by playing holiday music, diffusing Christmas Spirit, and serving essential oil-infused hot chocolate!
What other essential oil-infused gifts have you made or received? We’d love to read about your gifts in the comments!
Whether you’re looking for new ideas to share Young Living or you’d like to get your friends together for your own girls’ night, hosting a Young Living make-and-take party is a great opportunity to meet new people, make some fun DIY projects, and show friends and neighbors that Young Living is more than just a drop of oil—that our products can easily and naturally complement any lifestyle.
From refreshments, to ways to encourage natural conversation about Young Living, to diffusion ideas, here’s your guide to hosting a fantastic make-and-take party!
STEP 1: Make a Plan
- Pick a theme. Maybe go with a “Pamper Me” theme with bath salts, hand scrub, and foot lotion made with Lavender or Ylang Ylang essential oil. Or perhaps a “Daily Dose” theme with an invigorating morning Melaleuca Alternifolia face lotion, a fresh 2:30 p.m. roll-on with Frankincense essential oil, and a serene nighttime room spray with Lavender essential oil.
- Decide which refreshments you’d like to serve. Keep your finger food simple and light. Try a fruit or vegetable tray with dip, or try crackers and cheese. You can even include Young Living essential oils in your refreshment spread. Try lemonade made with citrus essential oils, hot chocolate with Cinnamon Bark or Orange essential oils, or a vegetable dip with Dill essential oil. Our Healthy Cooking, Volume 2 recipe book has some great ideas you could try.
- Make a shopping list of the DIY project ingredients, project containers, decorations, bowls and utensils for assembling, and refreshments.
- Decide what amount you feel is appropriate to charge your attendees for each DIY project. You can use PayPal or Venmo or ask people to bring cash to the party.
STEP 2: Get the Word Out
- Decide how many people you are comfortable hosting, and then over-invite. Remember, people get busy and not everyone you invite will be able to make it.
- 2–3 weeks prior to your party, send out invitations. You can create a Facebook event or send any combination of emails, texts, and printed invitations.
- Closer to the date, send reminders and get a final count on RSVPs.
STEP 3: Pre-Party Setup
- Print handouts of the ingredients and instructions for your DIY projects.
- Have Young Living resources placed around your home, so people can browse during any downtime. We recommend the 2015 Product Guide and any resources you have on essential oils and their uses.
- Set up different stations for each DIY project to avoid overcrowding in one area. Organize tables with all the containers, ingredients, and measuring utensils laid out in order of assembly. Tip: Use white plastic tablecloths and write instructions by each step with a black permanent marker.
- Set out your refreshments.
- Set the mood and diffuse oils that will add to the feel of the party. For an uplifting vibe we recommend Joy or Bergamot. Play music that will complement your event.
- Prepare to say “thank you” to guests as they leave with a small take-home bag. You could include your business card with an essential oil sample, information about how to become a member, and a homemade treat made with essential oils. Set the bags out in a basket by your front door.
- Once guests have arrived, start the night by having everyone introduce themselves.
- Explain what you’ll be making, how to use the projects, and their benefits. Then start assembling the goodies!
- Ensure everyone leaves with a take-home package.
Step 5: Post Party
- For those interested, follow up with a class introducing Young Living products.
Stay tuned for an upcoming post for ideas to host a holiday gift make-and-take party!
Special thanks to Young Living member Nance Ciasca for her party expertise and tips.
Do you have any other tips for a smooth-sailing party? We’d love to hear them in the comments!