April showers bring May flowers! Spring is also the time when insects and bugs begin to multiply at astounding levels and pester any early evening plans in the fresh air. If you’re anything like me, then you are also certain that mosquitoes and other biting insects are out to get you and may keep you indoors instead of enjoying the pleasant weather outside.
Bugs should not keep us from a walk around the park or neighborhood, a relaxing getaway at your favorite fishing hole, or enjoying a barbeque with family and friends. Before you get to the point of banishing yourself indoors, try this all-natural approach to a safe and hazard-free bug spray with 100% pure, therapeutic-grade essential oils from the World Leader in Essential Oils®.
• Spray bottle, 8 oz.
• Distilled water, 4 oz.
• Unscented witch hazel, 4 oz.
• Thieves® essential oil blend
• Purification® essential oil blend
• Melaleuca alternifolia essential oil
• Citronella essential oil
• Lavender essential oil
• Lemon essential oil
• Peppermint essential oil
• Idaho tansy essential oil
• Fill an 8-oz. spray bottle with 4 oz. of distilled water
• Add 4 oz. of witch hazel
• Add 10 drops of Thieves, Purification, and Melaleuca alternifolia essential oils
• Add 5 drops of lemon, lavender, peppermint, Idaho tansy, and citronella essential oils
• Shake well before each use and spray a light layer on skin and clothing
This natural alternative to store-bought bug sprays will keep you free from chemicals and other unnatural ingredients—not to mention the pleasant aroma that will be with you as you enjoy the nature around you.
However, if by chance you find yourself outside without bug spray, Purification is an amazing after-bite reliever that minimizes itching and redness, so be sure to keep some handy wherever you go.
Please share your experience below. I would love to hear from you and get suggestions for other Young Living essential oils that you would use in your own bug spray.
—Marco Colindres III, YL Product Marketing Manager