A few weeks ago we gave ideas and recipes of how to avoid bringing home bedbugs when traveling. This week we are getting rid of bedbugs for good with the power of Young Living’s effective essential oils and products.
The following are tips, hints, and recipes for getting rid of those bothersome bugs. After today we will not need to panic when bedbugs come to stay; rather, we can implement the following ideas and live bedbug-free.
- Before washing, spray clothing and linens with either bedbug treatment recipes. Conduct a fabric test before spraying items to make sure they will tolerate your bedbug essential oil blend.
- For particularly difficult cases, wash and dry your items in the hottest water and settings tolerated by the fabrics. For added assurance, add 2-4 capfuls of Thieves® Household Cleaner for every medium to large load.
Hint: Use either Thieves Household Cleaner caps (14.4 oz. or 64 oz.). They both hold 10 ml or 2 teaspoons.
- Steam Treatment:
Add the below steam-treatment mixture to a steam machine or steam carpet cleaner.
- Remember that essential oils and water will not remain blended. You will need to shake the steam machine and or carpet cleaner often throughout the treatment for maximum benefits.
- Thoroughly steam floors, baseboards, bed frame, mattresses, rugs, carpeting, etc.
Bedbug Treatment Recipe No. 1
Mix ingredients together in a spray bottle and spritz over the areas you will be steaming.
Mix ingredients together in a spray bottle and spritz over the areas you will be steaming.
Hint: If you do not have the time or means to steam your furniture and flooring, you can lightly spritz the area with the mixture. Wait 30 minutes or longer before vacuuming. Only use a vacuum that has disposable bags.
Once you have thoroughly spritzed and steamed all infested areas, place sachets between the mattress and box springs, inside drawers and cubbies, behind headboards and footboards, and under any furniture cushions.
Bed Bug Essential Oil Sachet
24 muslin teabags
1 cup baking soda
10 drops Thieves essential oil blend
5 drops Purification essential oil blend
5 drops Geranium essential oil
5 drops Cedarwood essential oil
5 drops Idaho Tansy essential oil
2 drops Palo Santo essential oil
Mix well. Spoon the mixture into the muslin bags. Replace once the sachets have lost their aroma.
Repeat the process as needed. Professional pest control companies usually come back multiple times to eradicate bedbugs. Do not become discouraged if the bugs are not gone with your first attempt. Remember that you are using safe, effective, and powerful essential oils.
Hint: Take care around sensitive people, babies, and cats, especially kittens. They are very sensitive to some essential oils. Make sure that they are out of any room you are treating.
Finally, to keep your home bedbug-free, diffuse Thieves essential oil blend every few days.
I love hearing from you! Please comment on this blog or e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
—Gloria Russo, YL International and Portfolio Brand Manager, Personal Care
Eating better is one of the simplest and most fruitful ways to improve your overall health and well-being. If we are what we eat, then adding the potent and healthful constituents found in Young Living essential oils to your daily diet can be an easy and delicious way to improve your health and energy.
March is the American Dietetic Association’s National Nutrition Month, and what better way to incorporate their theme to enjoy the taste of eating right into your life than to enhance the flavors of your dishes with Young Living essential oils?
Here are just a few examples of how you can add richness and flavor to your cooking and food preparation by including Young Living essential oils:
For a delicious way to load your body with nutrients, add the following superfoods, fresh fruits and vegetables, and Young Living essential oils to your next smoothie:
- Fruit: bananas, blueberries, apples, oranges, grapes, strawberries, etc.
- Leafy greens: spinach, kale, Swiss chard, or even broccoli
- Almond milk or ice
- Flax or chia seeds
- Spirulina: a great source of protein
- Coconut: fresh coconut flesh or coconut milk
- Bee pollen: one of the most complete foods found in nature
- Young Living’s Pure Protein Complete: 2 scoops (8 oz.)
- 1–2 drops of Young Living’s Lemon, Frankincense, and Ocotea essential oils
- To sweeten it up a bit, you can also add Young Living’s Blue Agave or Stevia Extract
Essential Oil-Infused Olive Oil
- Infuse a bottle of extra virgin olive oil with herbs and a few drops of Young Living’s Basil, Black Pepper, Dill, Lemon, Fennel, Clove, Lemongrass, Marjoram, Rosemary, Oregano, Tarragon, or Thyme essential oils to make fantastic salad dressings, a drizzle over pasta dishes, a dip for artisan bread, or a marinade for your favorite meats and vegetables. Essential oil-infused olive oil also makes a great gift or party favor.
- Add some fresh, diced mint or carrots along with a few drops of Young Living’s Lemon or Basil essential oil to your rice, bulgur, quinoa, or couscous side dish for enhanced flavor.
Leave a comment below to share ways that you use Young Living essential oils in your food preparation or cooking!
—Heidi Jeanfreau, International and Portfolio Brand Manager
Looking for a love potion for that special someone this Valentine’s Day? Young Living can help you create the “magic elixir” of quality time and essential oil-infused gifts that will make your loved one burst with affection! There’s no better way to demonstrate your appreciation for your valentine than helping him or her relieve stress and tension with a combination of Young Living’s massage oils and essential oils.
Here are some great Valentine’s Day gift ideas with a personal touch using Young Living essential oils:
- Sensation™ Massage Oil inspires the senses and encourages feelings of romance and youthfulness.
- Ortho Ease® Massage Oil relaxes and calms tired, stressed muscles.
- Ortho Sport® Massage Oil soothes tired, over-worked muscles after exercise and sports.
- Relaxation™ Massage Oil promotes tranquility and eases tension to restore vitality.
- Cel-Lite™ Magic Massage Oil improves skin texture and helps cleanse the skin.
DIY Tip: Create your own massage blend using V-6™ Vegetable Oil Complex infused with a custom blend of essential oils.
Essential Oil Bath Salts
Add a blend of your favorite essential oils to Epsom salt for a relaxing and thoughtful gift.
- Pour 4 cups of Epsom salt into a nonreactive bowl.
- Add up to 15 drops of your favorite essential oils. We suggest Lavender , Roman Chamomile, Eucalyptus Blue, Eucalyptus Globulus, Eucalyptus Radiata, Stress Away™, Peace & Calming®, Sandalwood, Joy, or your favorite single oil or blend.
- Use ¼–½ cup per bath.
- Store in a cool, dry place.
Young Living’s essential oil roll-ons are a convenient, easy-to-transport, and clean way for your loved ones to apply essential oils when they need a little relief from a stressful day.
- Deep Relief™ Roll-On provides support for occasional muscle tension.
- RutaVaLa™ Roll-On promotes relaxation of the body and mind.
- Stress Away™ Roll-On encourages relaxation.
- Tranquil™ Roll-On helps decrease uneasiness and induce tranquility.
- Valor® Roll-On increases strength, courage, and self-esteem.
DIY Tip: Create a custom essential oil roll-on blend by adding an AromaGlide™ Roller Fitment to your oil bottle.
Fill the 2-ml bottles that come with the Vitassage with your favorite essential oils and incorporate the benefits of up to three essential oils or blends into your massage.
Colognes for Him
- Mix 2 drops of Hong Kuai, 1 drop of Ylang Ylang and 3 drops of Idaho Blue Spruce for a gentle, empowering cologne that will instill greater confidence and perseverance.
- Blend 2 drops of Ylang Ylang with 1 drop of Hong Kuai for an all-natural, appealing fragrance.
Perfumes for Her
- Add 1 drop Jasmine, 5 drops Coriander, 6 drops Bergamot, 3 drops Rose, and 4 drops Neroli to 10-ml of V-6 Vegetable Oil Complex for a delightful perfume.
- Blend Ylang Ylang with your favorite Young Living lotion for a lasting, attracting fragrance.
Blends or single essential oils will make great gifts for your loved one. Some Valentine’s Day-appropriate choices include:
Participate in our Limited-Time Valentine’s Day Promotion
Make this Valentine’s Day memorable with Ylang Ylang and Geranium essential oils! From February 7–9, buy one 15-ml Ylang Ylang and receive a 5-ml Geranium for free! Known for their delicate, floral scents, these oils will bring a calm feeling to your home and set the stage for your special day. Limited to five per order.
To take advantage of this special offer, log in to Virtual Office by clicking here.
As always, we would love to hear from you! Leave a comment below telling us your ideas for Valentine’s Day gifts using Young Living essential oils.
—Heidi Jeanfreau, YL International and Portfolio Brand Manager
Harmful chemicals are too often left on household surfaces in the name of cleaning. Luckily, we have an entire line of Thieves® products formulated with all-natural ingredients that easily replace the traditional chemical clean with a healthy and effective Thieves clean.
This week we are tackling the bathroom—a warm, humid room where germs can thrive. This two-part series will offer a total of six steps that will have your bathrooms Thieves clean in no time.
Let’s get started with the first three steps:
STEP 1: LIGHT FIXTURES, FANS, VENTS, MIRRORS, GARBAGE CAN
Thieves Basic Cleaner Recipe
Mix 1 capful of Thieves Household Cleaner with 2-3 cups of water. Put in a spray bottle clearly marked “Thieves Basic Cleaner.”
Optional Light Fixtures, Fans, Vents, Mirrors Recipe
Mix 1 capful of Thieves Household Cleaner, 5 drops of Lemon essential oil, 1 teaspoon white vinegar, and 3 cups of water. Put in a spray bottle clearly marked “Thieves, Lemon, and Vinegar Solution.”
Remove all cobwebs and thoroughly dust ceiling, corners, fans, vents, and light fixtures.
Run a cleaning brush around baseboards and door jams.
Sweep up all dust and debris.
Remove light fixture bowls and clean with either cleaning recipe. Soak if needed.
Spray and wipe off fans and vents with either cleaning recipe.
Replace burned-out bulbs and light fixture bowls.
Spray garbage can or let it soak before wiping clean.
Spray and clean mirrors.
Hint: Place 5 drops of Thieves essential oil on a cotton round and place in your garbage can underneath the liner to keep your garbage can smelling clean.
STEP 2: SINK, COUNTERTOPS, BACKSPLASH, CABINET FRONTS
Thieves Basic Cleaner Plus Baking Soda
Thieves Cabinet-Front Recipe
Mix 1 capful of Thieves Household Cleaner, 10 drops of Citrus Fresh™ essential oil blend, and
1 cup olive oil. Put in a spray bottle and clearly mark as “Thieves Cabinet-Front Cleaner.”
Remove everything off of countertops.
Spray sink, countertops, and backsplash with the basic cleaner. Sprinkle approximately ¼ cup baking soda in the sink and any other place you would like more scrubbing action; clean with the basic cleaner.
Clean cabinet handles and pulls with Thieves Spray.
Hint: Keep a package of Thieves Wipes on the bathroom counter to wipe down the sink and countertops in between your deep cleanings. We recommend doing this every day.
STEP 3: TOILET
Thieves Basic Cleaner
Optional Thieves Toilet Bowl Cleaner
2 drops of Thieves essential oil blend and ¼ cup baking soda
Pour approximately ¼ cup of baking soda and 2 drops of Thieves essential oil blend directly into the toilet bowl. Stir with a toilet brush and let sit for a couple of minutes before cleaning.
Spray and clean around the toilet seat and rim with the basic cleaner.
Thoroughly clean the toilet inside and out, especially around the outside bowl.
Use Thieves Spray to clean the toilet knob.
Hint: When replacing toilet paper, dab 3-5 drops of Thieves essential oil blend on the inside of the cardboard roll (not on the paper).
Please share any cleaning tips or Thieves recipes you have found successful. We love hearing from you!
To a cleaner, healthier, and happier year,
—Gloria Russo, YL International and Portfolio Brand Manager
A heavenly alternative to traditional treats, these delicious bites made with Young Living’s Ningxia wolfberries and Blue Agave can provide a day-long energy boost. Try this recipe for Wolfberry Bites O’ Heaven from Young Living Platinum member Jan Zerr.
1 cup cacao nibs
1 cup Young Living’s Ningxia wolfberries
1 cup hemp seeds
3/4 cup coconut butter
2 tablespoons Young Living’s Blue Agave
Dash of sea salt
Dash of vanilla extract or 1 vanilla bean
2 drops of a Young Living essential oil of your choice (See recommended essential oils below)
Note: Please follow individual label instructions before using any Young Living essential oil in cooking.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor except for the cacao nibs and hemp seeds. Process until completely broken down into small pieces.
- Add the cacao nibs and hemp seeds into the process. The cacao nibs should break down to about half their size. The hemp seeds should be visible.
- Form into bite-sized balls with a small ice cream scoop, place on a baking sheet, and refrigerate until firm.
This recipe was originally featured in the January 2014 issue of the Essential Edge News. You can read this issue here.
Do you have an essential oil recipe? If so, please send it to email@example.com with “Young Living Recipe” in the subject line. You can also share your recipe by posting a comment below. Your recipe could be featured on the Young Living Blog!
Many of us include cooking and baking as a part of our holiday traditions. These treats and mouthwatering meals can often be family recipes that have been handed down for generations.
With this in mind, we would like to share with you some of our favorite, easy-to-make recipes so that you can add Young Living essential oils to your holiday traditions.
Using a nonstick pan (or a pan coated with extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil), mix the nuts and Young Living Blue Agave or Yacon Syrup. On medium heat, cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring continually to avoid burning. When the nuts are cooked, remove from heat.
Immediately add Cinnamon Bark essential oil and stir to coat.
Cool on wax paper or parchment paper. Makes about 3 cups.
SPICED CARROT BREAD
2 cups spelt or Einkorn flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 eggs (slightly beaten)
2/3 cup coconut oil (melt if needed)
2/3 cup Young Living Blue Agave or Yacon Syrup
3 cups grated carrots
1/2 cup raisins
2 drops Young Living Cinnamon Bark Essential Oil
1 drop Young Living Ginger Essential Oil
3 drops Young Living Orange Essential Oil
Preheat oven to 325° F. Grease and flour two 8-inch round pans or one 9×13 pan.
Mix dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet mixture. Add the raisins. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until bread tester comes out clean.
1 brie cheese wheel
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and diced
1/4 cup Young Living Blue Agave or Yacon Syrup
2 drops Young Living Orange Essential Oil
1 drop Young Living Lemon Essential Oil
1/2 teaspoon allspice
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup slice almonds
Preheat oven to 350° F. Remove cheese from package and slice off the top layer. Line a small cookie sheet with parchment paper and place brie wheel on top.
In a small saucepan, combine remaining ingredients and cook until apples are tender. Remove from heat and place mixture over brie cheese. Cover and bake for 15 minutes or until brie is bubbling. Remove from oven and serve with crackers.
We hope you enjoy these recipes share them with your family and friends. These recipes are also a great way to introduce Young Living to others.
For those who have been cooking with Young Living essential oils, please spread your holiday cheer by leaving your recipes as a comment on this blog. We can only imagine the spectacular dishes you have created with Young Living essential oils, and we are all eager to learn from you. Let’s all make Young Living essential oils a holiday tradition.
—Gloria Russo, YL International and Portfolio Brand Manager
This healthful and delicious essential oil-infused soup recipe is sure to be a hit with your friends and family. It includes Young Living’s Clove, Cinnamon Bark, and Nutmeg essential oils. Try this recipe for Butternut Squash Soup for your next meal.
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cubed
4 cups vegetable broth
2 drops Clove essential oil
3 drops Nutmeg essential oil
1 drop Cinnamon Bark essential oil
In soup pan, sauté onions, garlic, salt, and pepper in olive oil over medium heat until tender. Add cubed squash and cook for 3–5 minutes. Next, add vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Boil on medium-high heat for 25 minutes or until squash is fork tender. Remove from heat. Using a hand mixer, puree until smooth. Stir in the essential oils. Allow oils to infuse into soup for 5–8 minutes and then serve. The soup may be garnished with a spoonful of yogurt if desired.
This recipe makes about 5 ½ cups of soup.
Do you have an essential oil-infused recipe that you would like share? If so, please post a comment, including your recipe.
Sharing a steaming cup of wassail with friends and family is a great way to celebrate the holiday season. This festive beverage can be made even better with the inclusion of the delicious flavors of Clove, Cinnamon Bark, and Tangerine essential oils! Try making this essential oil-infused recipe to set the mood for any holiday occasion.
6 c. Apple Cider/Apple Juice
2 c. Pineapple Juice
5 drops Clove Essential Oil
5 drops Cinnamon Bark Essential Oil
5 drops Tangerine Essential Oil
(Try one or a mixture of any of the below)
4 Tbsp. Dried Wolfberries
1-2 Slique Tea Bags
2 oz. NingXia Red
2 drops Ginger Essential Oil
2 drops Nutmeg Essential Oil
Add all ingredients to a 3-quart pot. Turn stove to medium/high and heat until hot. Serve and enjoy!
For added benefit, set the post to simmer to keep your home smelling festive throughout the day. You may need to add 1-2 drops of additional oils if the mixture stays on the burner for many hours—as you are essentially diffusing these ingredients into the air.
Our new Wintertime Wassail Collection, featured in this year’s holiday catalog, includes all the items you need to make Young Living Holiday Wassail, including 5-ml bottles of Cinnamon Bark, Clove, and Tangerine essential oils, a wassail recipe card, and a 16-ounce mug set in a gift box. View the collection in our holiday catalog here.
I love ice cream—especially homemade ice cream. Knowing my love for this generally unhealthy treat, I decided to experiment with a healthier option using Young Living products.
Try this delicious recipe for NingXia Red Sherbet:
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 ¾ cups NingXia Red®
- ¾ cup Young Living Yacon Syrup (may also substitute with Blue Agave or 15 drops Stevia Extract)
- 4 drops Tangerine essential oil (may substitute with other citrus essential oils)
- 6 Life 5™ capsules (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- ½ cup chopped Ningxia wolfberries (optional)
Mix together almond milk, NingXia Red, Yacon Syrup, Tangerine essential oil, and vanilla extract. If desired, open Life 5 capsules and add to the mix. Add ingredients to an ice cream or yogurt maker. Add the fruit halfway through the freezing process or when serving (this keeps the fruit from freezing solid). I also like to soak the wolfberries in NingXia Red to make them juicier.
Please leave a comment with your thoughts or with any suggested modifications.
—Ryan Seely, YL Product Marketing Manager
During the hot summer months, the best way to protect your skin from sunburn is by applying sunscreen. (See our recent do-it-yourself blog post on how to create your own natural sunscreen with essential oils.) Sometimes, however, sunburns happen. Young Living offers many products to help relieve sunburn*, including LavaDerm™ Cooling Mist.
LavaDerm’s pure and carefully chosen ingredients—aloe, lavender, spikenard, and trace minerals—work in concert to reduce the uncomfortable symptoms of a sunburn. By having LavaDerm readily available, you can just point and spray to get sunburn relief* as quickly as possible.
You can also try using one of the following Young Living essential oils and do-it-yourself recipes for sunburn relief:
- 1 cup of white or apple cider vinegar
- Ice cubes
- Young Living Lavender essential oil
- Young Living Lavender Hand & Body Lotion
- Fill a sink or bath with cool water.
- Add ice cubes to the water if you are able to tolerate the temperature.
- Add 1 cup of white or apple cider vinegar.
- Immerse yourself for at least 10 minutes.
- Gently pat your skin dry.
- Apply undiluted Lavender essential over the burned area.
- Once the oil is absorbed in the skin, apply Young Living’s Lavender Hand & Body Lotion .
- Don’t apply too much Lavender essential oil. Simply cover the burned area.
- Do not bathe with bubbles or use soap. This can dry out and irritate the skin.
- Avoid actions that will worsen your symptoms, such as rubbing your skin dry with a towel.
Sunburn Relief for Children
Although parents typically protect their children from sunburns, many children do suffer from heat rash.
You can prevent heat rash by keeping your child’s skin dry and cool. It is also helpful to dress children in light clothing made from breathable fabric. When possible, expose your child’s skin to air. If you are unable to prevent heat rash, here is a do-it-yourself relief recipe for all ages:
Heat Rash Relief
- ¼ cup baking soda
- 2 drops Lavender essential oil
Children Ages 3–7
- ½ cup baking soda
- 2 drops Lavender essential oil
Children Ages 8–10
- ½ cup baking soda
- 4 drops Lavender essential oil
Children Ages 11–18
- 1 cup baking soda
- 4 drops Lavender essential oil
- Mix Lavender essential oil and baking soda together.
- Add mixture to a warm bath.
- If bathing a baby, make sure that the water reaches the folds of the skin.
- Once out of the bath, dry skin thoroughly and take care that your child’s folds of skin are kept dry.
Here are some practical tips on how to soothe the effects of specific types of sunburns with essential oils:
|Sunburned Eyelids||Apply tea bags soaked in cool water to help reduce swelling and soreness*.|
|Soreness||Chill Young Living Lavender Hand & Body Lotion in the refrigerator. It will counteract swelling and keep skin properly hydrated*.|
|Dryness and Peeling of Skin||Drink water and eat foods with high water content. A large watermelon wedge provides 9+ ounces of water, 1 cup of honeydew melon provides 5.4 ounces, and 1 cup of cantaloupe or beets provide 5.1 ounces.|
|Seek Medical Attention||Take care if you experience nausea, chills, fever, faintness, extensive blistering, general weakness, patches of purple discoloration, or intense itching when sunburned.|
Finally, here are a few more sensible tips for you to think about:
- UV rays penetrate windows. Use care when sitting in direct sunlight for extended periods of time, especially with a baby.
- If your legs and feet are swollen, elevate them above your heart.
- If soreness is preventing a good night’s sleep, try sleeping on an air mattress.
- Take extra sun precautions when the sun is at its strongest (from 10 a.m.–3 p.m. or 11 a.m.–4 p.m. for those states participating in Daylight Savings Time).
We hope these recipes and tips help you safely navigate through the summer months. As always, we invite you to share your ideas or recipes in the comments.
—Gloria Russo, YL Product Marketing Manager
Congratulations to our Thieves® AromaBright Toothpaste winners! Here are the names of the lucky winners selected from comments on a previous blog post:
Each of these people will receive a free tube of Thieves AromaBright Toothpaste! Keep reading our blog for more giveaways in the future.
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.